PhD major corrections

J

Hi everyone,

I've been reading lots of posts about major corrections after receiving mine back early 2021 and had been given 6 months to do the corrections. It was not easy. Like many people said, I feel like a lot of my confidence was taken away from me. Thank you very much for posting your experiences here, which has been incredibly helpful for me to go through my own "major correction journey". I managed to submitted my corrections in December last year, and was told that the examiners have three months to review the correction and make the final decision.

Now it's been almost 2.5 months since I submitted my corrected thesis, I'm starting to feel anxious - what if I don't pass? what if they ask me to do more corrections? Will I end up spending the past 4.5 years and getting a Master's degree? I emailed the Department last week, but no response yet. I wanted to ask, for those of you who received Major corrections, how did you cope with this feeling of uncertainty? Any tips? I feel very embarrassed when people congrats me after the viva (a lot of them didn't know about the minor and major correction thing) cuz like a lot of you have said, I feel like I am a fraud. But yet, I was too mentally destroyed to explain these to them. Thank you very much.

A

Hi Joeb, I was in the exact same situation as you, a few months back. I don't know if your situation has changed in the last few weeks. I know the agony and anticipation of waiting.

Please have patience and optimism - if you have included all the corrections they asked you to, you will pass. You can try and reach out to your exam office and student services both with 1 or 2 emails. I would try and follow up weekly, if you haven't received any answers. But, please don't contact the examiners directly as many Universities don't allow that.
Just a few more weeks and you will be out of this wait!

Also another thing that helped me was planning what I will do next. It's like looking forward to something better.
Good luck and let us know when you got it!