PhD or Master?

L

Hi,
I'm currently studying Biotechnology in Italy and I am starting to think about what's best for my future.
I'd like to continue my studies in cancer biology, but I don't know wheter it's possible with a degree in Biotechnology (specialized in medical biotechnology).
If possible, should I apply for a master or a PhD?

E

Quote From Laura_00:
Hi,
I'm currently studying Biotechnology in Italy and I am starting to think about what's best for my future.
I'd like to continue my studies in cancer biology, but I don't know wheter it's possible with a degree in Biotechnology (specialized in medical biotechnology).
If possible, should I apply for a master or a PhD?

Although I am in a totally different field but I would answer from the perspective of my field. Master gives you solid theoretical background in the subject and might qualify you to answer technical questions in early (junior) interviews. If you have a PhD, you would acquire deep knowledge in a particular subject but might lack the necessary general knowledge in the field. On the other hand, if you publish, this will be an asset in your application. Be aware that PhD is a long journey. If you are not very passionate and dedicated to it, it might be harmful. However, getting a bad or moderate grade in Master will not sound very well.
From my not very great PhD experience, I would recommend to do a Master and if you like research you can pursue a PhD after that.