PhD studentship Self Funding

M

I have been applying for a Phd since I left university and I have been rejected with all my applications. I am considering applying for a Phd but self funding the program by my self. What does self funding involve and what will the cost I have to pay for cover?

thank you for help

D

I am self funding and it is exactly as is sounds. I pay my Uni fees (£1300 part time double if full time) plus any other out of pocket expenses. I have full use of university facilities including access to all courses that may be helpful.

I searched for and contacted via email supervisors with an interest in the area covered by my PHd proposal and met with three at different unis. There was no formal interview more a chat around the topic and my background. After completing the application paprwork I was offered a position with two of them. It is my impression that being self funding makes it much easier to gain a place.

Do you know why your applictions have been unsuccessful - was it competition for funded places?

B

I am in the same position: I'm recently engaged with a partner at 32 and sizable existing debts that I currently pay off.

I failed to get funding (Humanities - no surprise there) - so have looked into the same issue:

Big outgoings are:
1. The course
2. Your housing
3. Existing debts
4. Any travel costs
5. Books/Materials
6. Relations

In response, from what I have looked at so far:

1. Some universities offer a discount if you pay up front (although if you drop-out/take a break you may not be able to retrieve these at some universities - always check the contract), if you have studied there before, or if you get a job working for the University (i.e stacking library shelves part-time rather than Morrison's although Retail may offer better renumeration). You may also get partial-grants from various institutions, societies etc. In any case, this is a fairly constant cost and will eat about 10% of the annual income of a part-time job.

2. The big cost. I would estimate that on average people spend around one third of their annual salary on their mortgage/rent in the UK. It all depends on the quality you expect. Being engaged, I need to live in contained house/flat. Others may opt for shared housing, there are co-operative charities that subsidise housing for postgrads in certain areas. You could even look at working as a Resident Assistant, where you get free accommodation in Student Halls for acting as a pastoral carer/mentor (although you may be stuck on campus for 2/3 days a week - you couldn't go to a different library, a local shop etc.). Financially the Resident Assistant position would be great, especially if you gain a fee discount at the same time. Other factors are house type double-glazing saves on heating bills. Who will you live with - 1 person not being a student means the everyone in that house including you will be eligible for Council tax

3. If you got up to a PhD stage with no existing debt,then well done to you! I got a student loan, credit cards, a bank loan and an overdraft. I gained a BA, MA (bank loan funded) and went travelling for 7 months. Had a great time, and have just working solidly for 3 years paying it all back. Only the bank loans are left now (oh and the Student loan). Sadly, the UK has no loan structure like the US, so debts cannot be paused for the PhD duration.

4. Travel. Will you live local to your University? In the same city? How much will travel costs to get to from the University? How often will you go (once a month or every day?). Will yo need to travel regularly to another set of resources? Will you need to travel for the research (fieldwork, interviews, soil sampling etc)

5. Subject relational - some books/journals may not be available at your library. There may be specific materials you'll need to buy (if lab based for example).You might need certain software i.e NViva or SPSS (which would then require a dedicated external hard-drive, anti-virus etc). Many PhD's buy office desks as there are shortages in several universitieshttp://www.postgraduateforum.com/images/smiley_wink.gif

6. Non-financially. Are you willing to create a distance between yourself and friends/family? Are you willing to lose track of which films are out, who is who in the charts? Why everyone else is suddenly wearing chinos and staring at your baggy jeans in disdain? Financially - are you willing to become a potential financial burden on those closest to you?

These are all the things going round my head. I've asked a few friends I lived with (2 have recently upgraded - successfully) and another in their second year and costed all my stuff out.

The financial viability is that outgoing will be around £100 p/month fees, £300 p/month rent, £270 p/month loans, £120 p/month travel, £20 p/month materials, Plus add another £200 for living (food,bills etc.) = £1010 per month.

I saved enough to pay 1 year of fees up front and may relocate closer to the university bring the fees d

E

Don't give up with the applying for studentships; those people that already hold PhD studentship offers will find out in the next few weeks whether they have made the grade, if they haven't they appear on here!

B

======= Date Modified 24 May 2011 22:43:14 =======