Phd studentship Telephone Interview

B

I had applied for phd studentship in management accounting in a Uk university and I have been invited for 30 min. telephone interview. i had previusly discussed my prop with the prof heading the research. he was interested in my project. the only setback is that my background is not in accounting but hospitality. but my publications and msc. thesis are on performance measurement in hospitality industry. I do teach at a public university in my country. what are some of the questions to expect for a Phd studentship? will they ask me about the UK general information abt UK like which one if any. will there be an aptitude test on the phone? please kindly help me out.

T

======= Date Modified 03 Feb 2010 15:12:32 =======
Bwad, I don't think they'd quiz you on the UK in general (unless it was aspects of the UK you plan to study) and I would doubt they'd perform any formal test over the phone, especially if you only have 30 minutes.
From my own experience, questions vary but tend to include;
Your proposal, how it would work, why it matters, logic behind the methodology and how your previous experience would contribute.
You may be asked how you've dealt with work or research situations in the past; dealing with conflict, prioritising workload and so on. General questions about the field you're going into are always fair game.
Have an idea about why you want to work with this department specifically (their past research, the professor's publications, etc) and what your own aspirations are for a research career.

Good luck!

B

tweek thanks what the best anwer to why you want to do a phd?

S

hi Bwad!
dont worry if you dont have a background in accounting; this issue will eventually be resolved during your phd!
the questions to expect:
1. why do u want to do this phd
2. can u explain where this proposed project will lead to
3. questions about your project: how will you do this....., how can we achieve....., you mentioned in the methods...., how do we go around it

there will unlikely be an aptitude test if its only a 30min interview.
assuming you are not from UK, I dont think they will ask you UK stuff.
from what you have posted, my big guess is they will be more interested in hearing about your project than all things trivial!!!!

good luck!!!!
happy satchi

S

oh I forgot: the best answer for why do you want to do a phd

the best way to answer this is to answer it yourself:
you have a reason for designing your project, you alone know why so tell them
you are your own person and you know where this phd will get you in life, so describe it in your own way

dont memorise other people's answers because there is a risk of forgetting halfway; just prepare your own answers and be yourself! every applicant is UNIQUE, every one is SPECIAL!
ok good luck! byeeee
happy satchi

B

satchi thanks. i think i will go there with very open mind. abt my project i think I know it all. will get back to you on how it went. ok cheers oping to join your club soon.