PhD terminated after my 1st year Viva!

O

Hi all, I seem to be in a sticky wicket at the moment. I have an ongoing dispute with my Dept. and have my PhD (Chemistry) terminated. The fact is that I had an abusive and incompetent supervisor who is the root cause of these problems,
Can anyone give me any advice on what implications this will have on getting another PhD. I can get references from my old Uni where i did my undergraduate degree, but should I just explaint exactly what happened? Maybe it wont be so hard to get another PhD?

O

So I am screwed then? Should I just become a cleaner then, or work in a box factory?

Erm...I guess I'm just being negative.

O

I was thinking of taking the opposite approach and just bringing all the issues out in the open and telling any prospective supervisor that is interviewing me what the situation is. In this way it also lets me know if they are worthwhile having.

Or, I could work for a year or so, get some good references behind me and then reapply?

What do ya'll think?

O

What about filling in the gaps...i.e. the year I have spent?

Am I being too negative about this whole thing?

O

Thanks for your advice. I guess I am being too negative.

The fact is that I believe I am a very competent student.

My supervisor was simply the bossy type who didn't appreciate that I am very independent. I think this made my supervisor feel inadequate about things.

Maybe I need a supervisor who wants to support rather than control?

J

MistaG

You have given some VERY sound advice. I think the forum user is a little shell shocked and angry in regard to her/his situation. You are right he/she shuld take some time and reflect on what went wrong.

In my mind this individual had a lucky escape as they would have had to spend another 2 years with the horrible supervisor. Doing a PhD is STRESSFUL enough without having a supervisor who doesn't give a "Castlemane XXXX"!!!.

O

Thanks for all your replies.

Shell shocked yes. Angry no! I am outraged! In reality I am just fed up with the ongoing saga. I have a harassment complaint against my supervisor that is outstanding, and an academic appeal against my termination (I believe they failed me because I complained). It's all gonna take months to sort out.

Thanks for all you messages.

J

Ophiucus

You have a right to be angry, but I think you should direct the anger away from the situation, because you will do or say something to those academics which you will regret later.

You need to get some sort of support, whether it's inside or outside the university setting- there has to be somebody. and once all of this has settled down you will be able to put your rational hat back on and move on my positively.

Like you I am a very independant researcher , this is a good quality as you eventually find stepping stones to get to your goal. I feel your going to be fine after this crisis is over, I can talk from experience I've had many blocks in my life- you know people telling me I'm not good enough to do a BSc yet alone a PhD, but yet I've proved them all wrong and got a BSc, a Masters and a full scholarships with a stipend for my PhD.

My closure will be when I go back to those "nay sayers" and tell them I have my PhD- so my advice to you is DON'T GIVE UP !!

B

1- How did they go about failing you? I thought the least they would do is give you a three month period to correct the problems that were detected (not supervisor but regarding the work you completed).

2- It seems a very unfortunate situations but I agree strongly with the other comments made. You DO NOT have to stipulate in an interview (unless otherwise asked) that you have already commenced a PhD and it didnt work out. Even if it wasnt your fault, perspective supervisors would be worried about taking you on as a student if they knew you had a harassment complaint against your supervisor and an academic appeal against your termination. It wouldnt bode well for you.

S

bazzab makes a very good point - you should have had more notice of being terminated e.g. your supervisor warning you that the work you were submitting to your first year viva may be sub-standard

A

Hmmm, I think honesty is usually the best policy. Think hard about not mentioning your previous time as a research student. It's a small world...

A

Re: transferring results
Again, be careful! As you were doing a science PhD, it is likely (but might not be the case) that you took on a project created by your supervisor(s), rather than coming up with a proposal yourself? If so, the results/IP are probably property of the University/Supervisor, as we sign our IP rights to the University when we register as students.

A

I think there is a distinction to be made between not mentioning your time as a research student, and making up what you've been doing for a year. The latter is definitely fraudulent and could result in your contract being terminated if you were found out.

NB Just playing Devil's advocate here, I do sympathise with your situation and wish you best of luck for the future. I agree with the others, don't give up. If you really want a PhD then you'll get there.

H

I agree with Ann, with most Science PhDs, there is not as much scope with doing "your own thing" like there is in Social sciences. Something like chemistry, you will always have this problem as your work will always revolve around what your supervisor wants and thinks. Its not a bad thing, normally your supervisor will know a lot about the area and what has been done to death etc.

J

Will they let you leave with an MPhil? At least then you'd have something to show for the year, and no-one needs to know that you were originally planning to stay on for the full Ph. D.