PhDs in different countries

A

Hi, I have been offered two PhD positions in the past week, one in Germany and one in the UK. I like both topics (they are quite similar), and I am considering both projects. However I would like to ask whether any of you can help filling me in on the way PhDs are done in the different countries. I have seen posts about some differences on changing countries, and would like to ask whether anyone can help me out. I am so happy at the moment, but I need to make a decision. Thank you

P

Hi Ailicec,
I happened to see this in wikipedia. PhD in different countries - felt might help you taking a decision.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Philosophy
Good luck

C

If you can't speak much German already, make sure your Doktorvater can and is willing to give feedback in English. I have a friend who's supervisor very quickly started giving feedback only in German way too early - and so it was a steep, steep learning curve.

In the humanities, as I observed it, PhD students tended to see their supervisors a few times a year and were expected to be independent and produce work. They seemed to last of a similar duration but ended in a publication of the thesis as a monograph as part of a condition of finishing (this happens a lot, so don't worry - they do get published) The institution I stayed at provided free German lessons for me.

A flatmate of mine in Germany did some form of molecular genetics project, and he found his lab international and friendly. They spoke English most of the time, and would take lunch together.

I would take the German project. A chance to live abroad and learn a new language (if you don't know it already) - I saw a few Max Planck facilities and some of FU's too and they seemed very modern and well-provisioned.

S

hi Ailicec
Congratulations!!!
Germany!!! GERMANY!!! GERMANY!!!!
thanks for the wonderful news, post back, tell us your final decision!!!
love satchi

T

i dont really know much difference in the setup of the PhDs... but since i am german, and i have been studying science in the netherlands, i wouldnt want to make a phd in germany. germans like to stick to their own language, the whole country is translating everything into german. movies are synchronated. i dont know how the phd environment is like, i guess it depends a lot on where you are gonna end up, whether the department is gonna be internationally oriented or not... i heard of other students who have been studying something similar to what i have been studying, and i was shocked when they told me that they had to use some study books that have been translated from the original english into a german version!!! thats just suuuuuch a big NO NO for me as science student, english is the science world, so this shocked me big time and kept me away. even now, that i should find work or phd myself, i am highly doubting germany, whether its justified or not i dont know.
if you think about doing a phd abroad, try to consider the netherlands? they are very international oriented, good in english, and their phds are built up well. phds in the netherlands take 4 years, and you start with about 2200 euro/month in your first year, end with about 2500 e/m in the 4th year.

which city/university/field did you get those phds offered at?

I have a friend whose done a PhD in germany. Its a 1/4 of the size mine will be, took only 2 years and his 'viva' was a presentation in front of his supervisors - no examiners! I'd do it in germany

A

Hey

Thanks for the feedback...I am leaning towards the 'UK' one (it is actually in Dublin so not UK...oooops)...It would still be an experience of living abroad for me since I am from southern Europe...I think the Dublin one is more suited towards my qualifications and my liking, since I have a choice :D...I am still weighing the options...would love to live in Germany...in order to better my German (I studied it for 6 years and loved it)...and English, although my second language, is nearly a mother tongue to me...However in a PhD I think loving the project is more important...I am now hopefully planning a visit to the University in Dublin, and see how things go from there, since till now I only had a telephone interview and email communication...

T

Quote From sneaks:

I have a friend whose done a PhD in germany. Its a 1/4 of the size mine will be, took only 2 years and his 'viva' was a presentation in front of his supervisors - no examiners! I'd do it in germany

i wouldnt call that a phd, but a fake .... if you decide to go for a phd, then it should be a proper one, and that means proper work, effort and examination ... nothing worse than having someone crown himself with some huge title that could have been obtained from a pinball machine :/

Its still called a PhD though - I am very jealous haha!

T

its like buying a zirconia that has been advertized as diamond

B

allicec i was in ur situation 'Germany, NZ,UK or Australia' . my friend has completed Phd in germany(mathematics) big complin------ he was lonely coz he wasnt fluent in germany..
2. germany professer gave feedback in germany language ( so if u r not good in written scientific germany alanguage- no go zone)
3. hey I once thought phd os bout the topic.... but really a nice available supervisor should be a key determinant coz u need to graduate in 3 yrs) u dont need someone who will just be interested in ur topic but someone who will be interested un ur welfare

so what ever u choose re me mebr those few points

i chose UK and i dont regret

S

hi ailicec...
have you chosen UK then? :-) :-) :-)
love satchi

A

Yes...chosen Ireland...not the UK apparently :S...