Please give your opinion - MBA or PhD

T

I finished my msc about a couple of years ago and being working in the IT industry within the health sector. I am feeling a need to improve on my knowledge and may be do some research but not sure if i should go in for a phd or mba. What are the prospects of either of the options? I really need your suggestions. Ta!

D

Temi, what do you want to do in the longterm?

If you want to do pure research, then a PhD would be a good idea. However, it's 3 years plus writing up if you go full time, or a lot lot longer if you want to work and do it part time. And it won't necessarily improve your career prospects either.

If you want to work your way up a company and be more senior management, an MBA is probably more what you want. However, I'm not sure how much research is involved as aprt of it. It's really more a management degree.

T

thanks Dan. I love a bit of research + management + making strategic proposal and particularly writing. As I get bored easily, I need something to keep me on my toes + propelling me to do some indepth studying and not necessary sit at a table from am to pm. It could be that I am in the wrong career just now as I lost the enthusiam!