Policy on shortlisting for academic jobs

Z

Does anyone know of any policy where, if someone applies for an internal academic post and isn't shortlisted, then they're banned from attending the subsequent shortlisted candidates' presentations to the dept due to 'conflicts of interest'? What would such 'conflicts of interest' be, exactly? (yes, this has just happened to me, and I'd still like to go to the presentations as its really useful for future applications).

C

Absolute nonsense! If it's an open interview process then anybody in the faculty is entitled to attend.

M

I think that's a reasonable policy in light of the litigious nature of recruitment procedures these days. It wouldn't in the least bit surprise me if I was told 'no you can't attend as you were an applicant'. In a recent presentation I gave, the one faculty member who was an internal candidate, did not attend.

Possible issues concerning a 'conflict of interests':
- the rejected applicant may distract the presenters via intimidation.
- the rejected applicant, being a member of the recruiting faculty, may use that position to influence the opinions of other faculty members, particularly the recruitment panel.
- the rejected applicant may pose unduly difficult questions to the presenter.

M

Of course, you're not going to do any of the above, and you just want to use the presentations as a learning experience. But recruiters will always cover their backs, and personally I think it's a fair policy. Recruitment procedures cost a lot of money, so they wouldn't want to jeopardise the procedure.

You also have to consider that some candidates may be aware that you applied for the job, but may not be aware that you are out of the running. They may openly object to your attendance in the presentation - which would be v. embarrassing for you and the panel.

M

^^ blame it all on employment law

Z

I think half my concern is what the implication says about my professionalism i.e. that i would sabotage proceedings or something! (especially as the decision came from my supervisor, who is chairing the whole interview process). A lot of colleagues this week have commented that they're surprised that i wasn't shortlisted , with one senior member muttering 'they'd better be bloody good candidates to justify not shortlisting her' (ie me) and, while i accepted the decision with good grace, I'm starting to think a bit cynically, which is horrible...

M

Zelda, don't take it personally, they are just covering their backs. He probably consulted with HR, or was afraid of the wrath of HR, and went of the easiest option. Also be happy you were genuinely in the running for the post as confirmed by other faculty members. Lots of times, people are just part of the recruitment process to make up the numbers.