Poor relationship with supervisor

H

Hello all, I have very bad relationship with my Master supervisor and cause me to quit the study. I wonder if I can apply for another offer? Will my pervious supervisor make me being black listed in this field? This question really cause me psychologically depressed. Thank you.

E

I am sorry to hear this. You supervisor is not God and he does not control the universe. Even if you do not believe in God, he/she is a just a person. You do not need to apply at the same institution. But if you want to go to the same institution, just apply.
Just for curiosity, is you supervisor a woman? It has occurred to me that the worst manager/employee supervisor/student relationships are woman/woman. It turns often to personal which is a double-edged sword.

H

He is an old man who skeptical about women

E

I think you can just try to forget about him and apply everywhere. If I were you, I won't put this institution as a top priority.

H

Thanks. I cannot get rid of the idea of Going back to research laboratory. Everyday i wake up the first thing i am thinking of is doing research. Something I think I am going crazy.

Supervisors do not black list students, so you are completely fine to apply elsewhere. Just don't ask for a reference.

Eng77, I kinda agree with your comment about woman/woman relationships often becoming awkward. Though both my supervisors are women and it is great, super supportive and they actually care about mental health. I think someone should do a study of PhD success rates with different gender configurations to determine this.