Post Doc Salary in US

R

Hi everyone

Thinking about a Post Doc in the states when I finish (Currently have about 9 months left of PhD in England). Does anyone have any broad idea of Post Doc salaries in an independent research institute ie Not a university?

Thanks!

H

Depends on your field I guess.

L

I don't think it's that bad, but you do get hardly any days holiday - I know someone who only gets 12/13 days for teh first 2 years he works for a particular company, and then it only goes up to 20 days after that

X

From what I've heard Rutherford, the salaries for academic posts in the States are much higher than in the UK--with the stress levels to match.

D

I'm in the U.S.; Don't know about non-universities, but most research institutes using federal funded grants for post-doc programs seem to pay per the NIH guidelines:
Postdoctoral Years of Experience:
0 $36,996
1 $38,976
2 $41,796
3 $43,428
4 $45,048
5 $46,992
6 $48,852
7 or more $51,036
http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-07-057.html
They can be supplemented from other funds to make a more liveable/competetive salary. These stipends are terrible, amounting to a paycut even at the 7+ year experience slot compared to what I am currently making as a research associate with an graduate degree and a lot of experience. Another route is 'Staff Scientist" which usually gives a better salary, but may not have all of the mentoring/protected time for getting your own funds as a post-doc, depending on who you work for.