Postdoc: choosing an important institution over a underrated one

L

Hello dear fellow researchers.

I am reviewing some universities for a possible postdoc. But there are so many!
And my judgement is often biased by their reputation, so I tend to look at big names within my field (music).

In general, I am wondering whether in 2017 this reputation is important. And whether important universities really provide you with some more benefit, given the usual high expenses associated and the load of work required to stand out.

Particularly today, where distance collaboration is so common and a researcher's reputation runs faster than his/her university's, due to online media.

What do you think?

S

I think you should choose after you have received your post-doc offers. When you receive your offers, things will be clearer -- big name, small name, researchers reputation etc.

Then you can choose where to go.

P

Quote From lucedan:
Hello dear fellow researchers.

I am reviewing some universities for a possible postdoc. But there are so many!
And my judgement is often biased by their reputation, so I tend to look at big names within my field (music).

In general, I am wondering whether in 2017 this reputation is important. And whether important universities really provide you with some more benefit, given the usual high expenses associated and the load of work required to stand out.

Particularly today, where distance collaboration is so common and a researcher's reputation runs faster than his/her university's, due to online media.

What do you think?

Personally, and I have said this many times on here, I find this obsession with the ranking of a university pretty ridiculous.

My advice would be to stop worrying about league tables and focus on your research interests and where those might be best supported.