Postponed viva

L

I have been a bit of a lurker on here on and off during my research journey....I'm feeling in need of a bit of moral support - none of my friends and family seem to understand!

I submitted my thesis in mid December and finally had a viva date by the end of January. It was due to be today.

I was emailed on Friday at 5pm by the chair to say that the external examiner had to cancel because of a sick relative. I was all geared up for it, had spent weeks preparing each night and weekend in the library (I work full time and have a small toddler competing for my attentions).

I know that it couldn't be helped and that I should just wait patiently for a new date but I feel totally crushed! I was so close and now feel like I'm so far. It's been long journey for me, I have been working full time since before I started writing up and it has been a real challenge. i should be in the pub tonight, I have annual leave arranged next week which should have been for corrections and I doubt I'll get to graduate in the summer now (all were hypothetical of course but I have to plan ahead carefully with work and my parenting responsibilities in mind)

I'm just ranting really.....no one I have spoken to about it really appreciates why I feel so disheartened. I need to get over it!

F

I totally get you dude. I would be PISSED. However I always say "A setback is a setup for a comeback." Use your time wisely, ignore the emotional deflation and continue to sharpen your mind. There may be something you missed or did not notice until now. Your day will come. Timetables can be re-shuffled. Scan the job market too.

My 2c.

I had my own viva delayed so my primary supervisor could host a workshop. Whilst on the whole a good supervisor, the delay meant I couldn't get the viva over with and allow me to push on with my post-via life as quickly as I wanted. I was hoping for viva to be out of the way in a month but had to wait nearly three.

First of all, I'd see about having your leave rescheduled for once you finally have your viva. Even "minor" corrections can take a bit of sorting and having time to yourself to do these is vital especially if you've a toddler on your hands.

Secondly, with undergrad degree exams approaching, I'd guess you're probably looking at a summer viva now, so I'd put your preparations on hold for a few weeks and spend time with your family whom I've no doubt you want to see more of. If you can't delay your leave, why don't you book a week away with your family?

In fact, you could say to your Uni., that it's not convenient now to have your viva for a couple of months so you can have some family time. That depends upon how quickly you want it out of the way, but doing this might give you a little control over events rather than the Uni. coming back and scheduling a time inconvenient for yourself. Unis. being Unis., they sometimes have a habit of doing things to suit themselves rather than the people most affected by what they do.

Whilst I know the delay has come about due to circumstances beyond anyone's control, I also know how frustrating it is. You've now uncertainty over when the PhD and the related work will be finished and that is something you can do without. However, a little control over events I think may help as I suggested above.

Ian

P

Yep, postponed (or rather cancelled) viva happened to me!

Different circumstances though. I waited 6 months for viva date only for external to pull out of viva 2 weeks before the viva, which led to 3 months searching for a new examiner. I eventually obtained my PhD after yet more dramas and waiting games, but it's now all a distant memory....

Completely echo Ian's reply. You're definitely not alone in terms of your frustations with things out of your control. I went through all sorts of anxiety and stress with my university, but I got there in the end :)

Best of luck with the viva.

L

Thanks to all for the helpful comments - its nice to feel like I'm not being totally irrational! Its just a setback, I feel like I've got a bit of perspective now (although still fleeting feel gutted and annoyed!).

I have a potential new viva date (middle of May) which isn't too far away thankfully. Same examiners. Unfortunately it is the day we are booked to go on holiday (was planned to be the post viva / post corrections / its all over trip). Hopefully I'll get it over with early in the day and can follow my family down to catch up in the evening (hopefully with some good news!).

I'm now on my week off, I'm being productive and using the time to write a couple of conference presentations and a paper that was going to come after the viva. You are right Ian, I do feel like regaining a little bit of control has helped - maybe the extra time to prepare will be a blessing. Having the conference two weeks pre viva now will help me get in the swing of discussing the work. I suspect one of the examiners will be there too, might help.

It's not the end of the world....."setback is a set up for a comeback", I love this!