Pregnant in interview

L

I am currently applying to various programmes like the Wellcome trust 4 year PhD adn various college scholarships.

Interviews will be held for these in Jan or Feb I would imagine...by which point I will be very obviously 5 or 6 months pregnant.

This isn't my first child or even my first child whilst studying (I got a first class and a distinction in my MRes so it really isn't a problem)

But how do I stop them from making a snap NO decision before I've even opened my mouth? :(

M

Baggy clothes? Hehe.

Seriously though, it sounds like you're applying for pretty top end stuff, so I would imagine that the academics involved are looking for the top people. Whether pregnant or not. They might want to know how you'd manage PhD and looking after a new-born child, whether you'd have to start late because of maternity leave and so on, but it really shouldn't affect their decision.

Any if it does - are they really the kind of people you want to work with?

G

...'but it really shouldn't affect their decision'.

but it probably will. We are in the real world here folks.

H

I'd make a point of bringing it up at interview, explain that it didn't affect your studies before and it won't this time round either. Better than them making assumptions!

T

One of the girls who started with me has become pregnant and nobody has been negative about it.. I guess all you can do is be honest and have a plan for how you will fit a baby and your phd together.

L

Yeah I did think about just stuffing my face with cakes for the next two months so you can't tell that i'm not just pudgy :)

A

OMG thank goodness for that. I thought you meant you got pregnant in an interview.

Yeah, make a positive of it - that you can prove you are organised/dedicated/good at time managment because you've already done degrees while having/bringing up kids

P

Hurrah "return of the golfpro" - welcome back!

P

btw when I read the thread topic I was thinking the same thing as aliby! Imagined some sort of horrendous accident with a turkey baster during a tour of the lab, or a set-to with the ladies toilet seat....

M

Pea, how exactly could a ladies toilet seat make someone pregnant? Or is there something I'm missing here?

P

mathew82 didn't you know you can get pregnant from a toilet seat & if a man touches your bra?

T

You can also get pregnant if a man uses his tongue when kissing you

L

*chuckle* yes I can see how that would be misread - hey at least the thread gets viewed.

A

But you can't get pregnant if you have sex while standing up on a toilet seat. Or standing up while a man is kissing you.

T

and you cant get pregnant if you do it in a swimming pool or in the sea