Preparation ofr PhD

K

I'm starting a PhD in October but I won't actually be finished with my undergrad degree until end of August. What kind of things should I be doing in the time I have before I start? Would you all recommend starting to read around the area or does it not really matter because I'll just be reading loads in my first year anyway? (It's a science PhD btw)

S

Personally, I am chilling out for the summer. My batteries are well and truly flat after my final UG year and that killer dissertation. I need a good break from intellectual and academic thought to do more mundane things like watch the World Cup and Big Brother. That's my approach anyway!

T

DanB is right: your supervisor will probably be happy to send you some background reading (probably written by him/her!)

In my case, I started a PhD on a subject I had very little experience in, so I was glad to get some research in before I got here. Your first few weeks will be mad enough as it is...

Showing a bit of enthusiasm before you get there also gives your supervisor a good impression of you?

J

if you want to prepare for a phd ... doss like there is no tomorrow ;) you'll do a lot of dossing as a phd student :D

S

I think it's horses for courses. If you're charged up and keen to get up and running by all means start early. For me, I'd rather not because I urgently need a break to recharge my batteries. Having written a meaty proposal for this (which effectively started the PhD), I can hit the ground running in September anyway.

K

Well I'm not free from my job for another 4 weeks yet, then have 3 weeks of revision before a final exam, roll on September! After reading all the posts am definitely going to have a relaxing month.

C

I'm chilling out too :D especially with this weather and all.. well tbh I'm spending most of my time doing further pure maths (a-level standard) for fun but anyway..
I will do some reading though, but as I don't start til october.. plenty of time

S

ok how do 'pure maths' and 'fun' go together?

S

you could break the ice with those fit chicks and ask them for their statistics