Presenting a paper at an International conference

L

Dear all,

I was just wondering which is best:

To spend my whole time writing up my PhD or finding some time to write and present a paper at an international conference in my field? What is the best course of action ?

For those who have managed to publish a paper or two in refereed journals, how did you get your first paper published? Any advice is much appreciated.
(up)

A

'Norwich Papers' might be interesting place for you to submit to.

A

I've had a paper in a peer reviewed journal and, technically, a poster presentation at an International. It was my MSc dissertation both times. 

I can't really advise on whether you should dedicate yourself to your PhD or submit to the conference. What year are you in?  I would however advise that before you start work on it you check who, if anyone will fund your conference. My poster was actually presented by the second author in the end because no-one would pay for me to go (boo, hiss!).

The paper, I started with the best relevant journal that we stood any chance of getting it in and, fortunately for me, they accepted (after I jumped through numerous hoops).  If not I would've started working down the list of relevant journals in order of their IF rating.

Good luck!

L

Thanks for your replies.

I'm in my 3rd year research only PhD. I am also aiming at asking one of the authors (one of my supervisors) to present the paper at the conference. I can't afford it too.

Aloha, may I have the URL for the Norwich Papers please?

Thank you