Presenting in front of supervisors!

K

Hey all! Those of you who have been on here for a while probably know I'm rather a nervous presenter, but things have been getting easier with practise! But now another variable has come into play- at a conerence I am presenting at next month both of my supervisors will be there (one of them is actually running the conference). Now I presented at a large conference in London over summer (my sup was meant to be threre but was ill) and am presenting at a huge conference in the USA in a couple of months, which I am not actually that nervous about. The conference next month is quite a small one, nothing like the scale of the others 2 at all, but I am so scared of presenting in front of my supervisors! Is this normal? This should be the easiest presentation of the lot but it is turning into the scariest! Best, KB

I always get nervous when I'm presenting in front of people who know me, which is a pain, because the more conferences you go to, the more people you know!

I don't really have much advice, apart from breathe, practice, that spray stuff - bach's rescue remedy? and try and assume your supervisors will be bored (because they already know about your research), talking to someone else/nodding off.

J

I feel exactly the same - international conference bring it on ; supervisors (or headof department whereI work - jibbering wreck.

I recommend Bach Rescue Remedy. :-)

P

It's definatly normal!! I hate doing any presentations as well, but I understand it's just something we've got to do. But if I know my supervisor is coming, it goes up about 100 points on the scary scale!!

But the up side is that it is always ok. whilst it does give you an extra dose of the nerves, It's always worked out fine. Even presentations that i've done that I thought went awful, if he was there, he always says afterwards, that was good, well done. And that tiny little bit of feedback makes it worth it!

good luck, but don't worry, you will be great x

J

Presenting in front of anyone I know is always more traumatic for me too. I guess its because at large conferences you will probably never meet most of the people there again!

D

Absolutely, my first presentation, anywhere ever, was presenting my research proposal to the department, including both my supervisors. Forcing myself to go to uni that day was one of the hardest things I have ever done, I was so terrified. (It was OK though). So I'm with everyone who says it's scary to present to people we know, whose opinion really matters, and a big thanks to jepsonclough for suggesting Bach rescue remedy, I'll be trying that next time:-)

K

Thanks guys- I think I'm just so much more self conscious when they're there, and obviously I don't want to feel as though I've made a mess of things and let them down! Will be trying some of that rescue remedy stuff definitely! KB