(Probably stupid) question about conference registration

S

Hi all, I'm going to attend a "proper" conference for the first time, and I have one paper accepted for poster presentation. I have a very stupid question here: do I need to register or is registration only for people who don't have anything to present? I'm asking because the registration fee is not a small amount, and I really don't want to waste that much money or being an idiot.
Thanks in advance!!

A

Well I'd imagine you need to register, being accepted for a presentation doesn't include free attendance. Usually there is a reduced fee for students, and you can apply for the money back from your funding/uni. But if you want to check you should email the organisers, and ask your supervisor do you get reimbursed for it.

D

Yeah you'll still need to register. Agree with Algaequeen, ask your department if you are able to claim funds for it (if you're funded you'll usually have an amount set aside each year for such things), and ask the organisers of the conference direct if they have any bursaries for PhD students (I went on two conferences and got full bursaries for both from the organisers).

S

Thanks so much for the replies!