Procrastination - hints and tips on how to deal with it

W

Taking up the suggestion from another thread, here's a nice 15 minute procrastinate to start with, on "Avoiding Procrastination"...

http://davidmaister.com/podcasts.archives/5/62/

It has some simple-but-good advice (just wish I could stop procrastinating long enough to follow it!!!)
xxx

L

nice!! good one woof

lol now i am procrastinating about procrastinating lol. i will read the link, once i hit my 30minutes of solid productive work time on my thesis
*starts timer*

L

my personal tip about procrastinating, is that i will set my timer, whether it be 10minutes or 30minutes, where i HAVE to do something related to my thesis, and if a thought comes into my head, that i want to do such and such, or must find out about x y z. i jot it down in a book. and then once my timer is up, then i can do whatever it was that i wanted to do.

L

or another eg that i read in Joan Bolker's book (sorry i keep quoting her!! the book is my constant companion).. is that list all the things you want to do rather than writing... like cleaning the bathroom floor or whatever, and then once you have written your target of words like 1000 for the day, then see how much you would wanna do it!

Joan Bolker talks about how to start a reward scheme, if you write X number of pages, then you can reward yourself, with something you really like doing.

L

like for me, I like checking these messages on this board, but i will only let myself check the messages or write a message, once i have achieved a 30min of productive time, and i am having a 5minute break or whatever. (i've stopped facebooking and emailing, but i find comfort in this message board, because it's nice to know i am not alone in this)..

or I really like watching greys anatomy. but i will only let myself watch an episode, once i have accomplished X number of "productive time" but it has to be an accurate amount of time, you have done "working" and not just idly sitting at your desk staring at the computer.. and usually will only let myself watch it after a full days of work, say after midnight

A

Good method Lara, productivity = prizes

L

thanks ANG!

ahhhhhhh i can't stop procrastinating now. i was on a roll, but then my best friend called me, i've been avoiding all my friends calls, and put my mobile in my bedroom. i told them all, that i need to just be in hibernation, but she was worried about me, was sweet of her. but she then called me on the house phone! .. so ended up talking for a couple of hours.

now ever since, i can't get back into it.

okay going to listen to the episode now! for some inspiration.

L

wow thanks for the link! that was brilliant, really awesome advice!!

i will be frequently listening to this, whenever i get stuck.

L

the best advice that i liked especially was:

"If you can, have two, three or four projects and alternate till one grabs you. Robert Benchley, said: “I can get anything done as long as it’s not what I’m supposed to be working on.”

Sound familiar? It’s sometimes hard to prioritize among ...But you can be surprisingly productive by working for a short time on each one. Imagine your projects (chapters in our case!) as children, each of them clamoring for your attention. Spend time with each one.

W

Glad you liked it! Thought there was some pretty useful stuff in there even though it has a business focus (I'm in science). One part that really resonated with me was "the less you get done, the more you beat yourself up for being worthless, and hence the less likely you are to get anything done". I've a cupboard full of T-shirts for that one!

L

Thanks alot woof, for posting it and sharing it with us, it's REALLY helped me !

yah , i am in science too, and all his advice can totally be applied

oh yah i totally related to that part aswell! and it's nice to know even very high up professional people suffer from procrastination and are intimidated by large tasks.