prospective phd- interview advice please!

P

hi i've got an interview for Sheffield Hallam University- what do people think about newer universities against traditional red bricks?? Also any advice for phd interviews?? thx

M

With respect to 'new universities' v traditional universities - I think you have to consider each university on its own merits, and place issues of funding, supervisor quality and department quality, above the general perceived reputation of the university.

That said, I would be wary of some new universities for two reasons:
(i) if you want a career in academia, having a CV of only 'new universities' may prevent you from achieving a post at an older uni (due to the academic snobbery amongst *some* quarters and disciplines i.e, Oxbridge recruits Oxbridge, UoL recruits UoL, red-bricks recruit red-bricks) - obviously this doesn't always happen, but it's not uncommon.
(ii) some new universities have staff with little or no research capabilities i.e. they used to be FE teachers, who in 1992 or later became lecturers. Sheffield Hallam is an established new university - so this probably won't apply.

M

With respect to interviews, ascertain if it's formal or informal, and/or involves a panel of interviewers. Look at 'selling' your research proposal, particularly concentrating on how the research adds to the body of knowledge on the subject. Also use the opportunity to ask them about what they can offer you.

M

O, and good luck!

P

I had the same difficult hours this year :)
Actually just show them that you can perform all of the research steps on your own by giving examples from your previous research (MSc)
Show them that you can scan the literature, find problems to make research on, provide solutions to them and also publish ...
They just wanna see how well you can fit to a researh environment.
And of course calm down ...

good luck !

P

Thanks for your input- I went to a red brick for my BA and MA so it probably wouldn't be a huge problem and the superviser I've contacted seems ideal for what I want to do... so fingers crossed! There was no info at all about the interview other than it'll be a question and answer session! Surely all interviews are q aand a's??

M

If you have red-bricks for other degrees then that should pasify the academic snobs, so don't worry. Go for the one with the best supervisor.

I think it would very mean of them if they sprung anything above and beyond a normal Q&A on you (without notice). Email the supervisor and ask if you are very concerned.

M

I meant 'pacify'.

No edit facility.

P

Thanx for the advice! I think i'm just worrying becasue I've never had an academic interview before!

K

Doing you PhD at a red brick/new uni will not make a difference in your future career if your supervisor is at the top of his game. However, if they are not well known in their field this will impact on your career be that at a red brick uni or a new on. So the most important thing is the reputation of your supervisor in thir field.

D

In academic area, is it always true that the name of your supervisor is far, far more important than the university you study in?