Prospective PhD New Zealand

S

Hi,

I am new to the forum and wanted a bit of advice on the relative international value of a PhD from different universities. I have just finished my undergrad in biology in Ireland and hope to do a PhD in 2013. I am considering my options in New Zealand as I'll be traveling there this year.

If anyone can offer advice on whether a PhD from Europe/ New Zealand are equally valued or insight into what PhD life in New Zealand is like, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

B

I know someone who did this but it was some sort of marine biology thing where NZ was the ideal field location and the centre of excellence. He seemed to enjoy it and thought it less pressured that what friends were experiencing elsewhere. He's still there so clearly it worked for him. The biggest downside was isolation from the scientific mainstream - it costs a lot to get to the important conferences, and it's not as easy to network. THat would be a downside perhaps if career wise you wanted to return to Ireland afterwards.

Hi Skish87

You can see a selection of New Zealand PhD studentships on FindAPhD. You'll also find a guide to Applying for a PhD in Australia & New Zealand.

A

Hi Shish87,

I am new to the forum as well! I'm currently in the process of applying for a PhD at the Victoria University in Wellington. I travelled to New Zealand last month to visit my partner's family and relatives (but I'm not Kiwi) and took the opportunity to go down to Wellington for a few days and chat with a Prof. about a prospective PhD there. I contacted her beforehand (via E-Mail) and explained my interest, topic, etc.
The chat went well and I'm now getting my documents together for the application in November. I am not sure about other Unis in NZ but Vic Uni has three PhD application deadlines March, July and November. They have a good website for prospective PhD students: http://www.victoria.ac.nz/fgr/prospective-phds/applying#deadline.

Do you have a potential supervisior in mind? Where would you like to go? Do you have a topic/subject you want to write about in mind?
If you are down there at the moment, I would recommend to get in contact with potential supervisors and go and have a chat with them.

All the best and enjoy NZ!