Publication

R

======= Date Modified 01 32 2010 21:32:24 =======
Dear all,

I was wondering if you might have some advice for me. A professor I met at a conference recently wrote to me saying that he's launching an online journal (in my field) and would like to me contribute an article. I'm eager to get published but from what I've gathered, unless a journal is peer-reviewed, it does not carry much weight in the academic world. Do you think I should ask him whether the journal is peer-reviewed or would that be considered an 'impolite' question? I don't want to come across as being too uppity!

Thanks in advance for your help!

B

I think it's a reasonable question. If I was in your position I'd ask it.

R

you're right! Thanks for your help :)

R

Hi Royfan,

you are right that if the journal is peer reviewed, it would be considered to have more academic weight. As such, if you have published a lot, it may be best to go for quality peer reviewed journals.

However, if you have not published yet, this may be good opportunity to get something published. If a professor asks you for your work, I would not ignore that. Also, it may be a good exercise to write your work in the format of a paper, and to go through the submission process. This may then help you to get later work published, in perhaps better quality journals.

R

Thanks for your helpful reply, Rick. I just heard back from the prof and apparently the journal is peer-reviewed!

Have a nice day