qualitative inquiry without theory

K

Hello,

I am currently undertaking an analysis of my qualitative interview data with an approach informed by grounded theory but have no substantive theory to guide me whcih makes me feel very nervous as I noticed that most phd thesis seem to have had a fairly solid theoretical framework to guide their analysis from the outset, even in seemingly inductive qualitative studies. Coincidentally, I originally began thinking I would adopt a narrative (identity) approach but have since changed gears and so I have some very rich life story data but just feel really nervous about approaching it so inductively...granted, I am guided a bit by a more general interest in the concept of identity. Has anyone had similar experiences???

B

Hi Karl, I am also doing analysis of data but really sorry I can't help because I also have no theory to guide me. I am doing a thematic analysis and am guided only by the type of questions I asked my interviewees. I would also appreciate what other have to say on this. I do know a student who recently submitted her thesis and she told me about a book where the recommendation was to avoid using theory. I need to look this up to find the author.

R

Hi Karl, Bulbs,

I am sure you know this already and it not my intention to be pendantic, however, I think the ideal is to look at he theory first, based on that to choose the most fitting analysis method for your project and then to collect the data in that particular way.

If you have done things the other way round, which I think many researchers do, then you need to look in reverse: To what extent does my way of collecting the data fit most with a theoretical approach.

For example if you have collected all you data and only at the end you have started to analyse, then grounded theory would not fit, and this would seem a more thematic / framework approach.
Vice versa if you have collected data 1, then analysed, adapted your approach based on this analysis, then data 2 etc, then this would fit more with a grounded theory approach.:-)

R

Oops,

I meant "pedantic"

E

======= Date Modified 18 Nov 2009 07:22:15 =======
======= Date Modified 18 Nov 2009 07:21:38 =======

Quote From karl:

Hello,

I am currently undertaking an analysis of my qualitative interview data with an approach informed by grounded theory but have no substantive theory to guide me whcih makes me feel very nervous as I noticed that most phd thesis seem to have had a fairly solid theoretical framework to guide their analysis from the outset, even in seemingly inductive qualitative studies. Coincidentally, I originally began thinking I would adopt a narrative (identity) approach but have since changed gears and so I have some very rich life story data but just feel really nervous about approaching it so inductively...granted, I am guided a bit by a more general interest in the concept of identity. Has anyone had similar experiences???

As far as I know, you don't have to have a theory first if your research is based on grounded theory.. (What a strange and paradoxal sentence..) :p

Actually, the strictest and purest form of grounded theory requires that you do not look at other theories first.. The results of your should arise from the data.. In other words, you actually create theory of your own based on the research data. However, it is now accepted that the researchers can and should use prior knowledge during the qualitative analysis based on GT.

Btw,

I have found these books relating to the matter useful:

Charmaz, K. (2009). Constructing Grounded Theory. A Practical Guide Through Qualitative Analysis. London: Sage.

Corbin, J., & Strauss, Anselm (2008). Basics of Qualitative Research: Techniques and Procedures for Developing Grounded Theory. London: Sage.