Question about masters with a 2:2 degree

R

I think i will come out with a mid 2:2 (56 per cent say) in journalism,how likely is it i would be accepted onto a english literature masters in the uk?

G

Probably reasonably likely. Two proviso's. A lesser Uni and expect to pay (i.e.. not funded).

R

if i pulled off a low 2:1 would i get funding?

it may not speak to my character but really the uni/funding are not a massive factor for me.

G

I don't know the in's and outs of funding in your particular area. All you can do is apply and see. I would imagine a 2.2 would see you in the cattle markets that are Manchester Met, UCLan and the like. The more prestigious Universities (I'm not sure of how the Uni's rank in your field either) will be able to pick and choose its students - a 2.1 would certainly help. I'd try for the more prestigious - it will pay dividends career wise.

J

It will definitely pay dividends career wise. If you don't make the big mistake to subsequently embark on PhD research!

R

thank you for the replies :)phd 'hell on earth' eh?

S

Most masters courses only ask for a minimum of a 2:2 and I know people that have got onto them with a third. There's really not all that much competition for masters courses these days anymore because nearly all of them have to be self funded. Generally speaking, if you can pay, you get in. I know three people who are doing Masters courses right now who got 2:2s in their undergraduate degrees. One guy I know got a third too.

S

Be positive, apply to as many as you can and wait and see. Going for a Masters is already a good sign because it shows your motivated and keen to study further! Make that your focus.