RA roles

T

Hi all,

Quite a few job ads I see say things like, "The funds for this post are available until 30 September 2019 in the first instance". What's this mean? That there is a possibility of extending the role, i.e they might apply for more funding/have the grant extended?

Cheers

N

Yes, in my experience this regards possible extension based on the quality of the output which determines further funding. If you produce what was required and in good quality (also showing there needs to be further work done with__), then they can argue that it is very beneficial to extend the RA funding for ___ more months, with the same pay and hours.

I was informed a decision to extend about 3 weeks before the first instance funding was scheduled to end, so you should have enough time to begin job hunting in case the funds aren't there for extension.

E

Yes I agree with Nad75. In addition, if the PI likes your work and the project cannot be extended, he/she might extend your contract if there is funding for another project. This has happened to me to transfer me to another funded project when my original funded project was about to end.

T

Aha, OK! Thanks!