Recommendations - digital voice recorder

K

Hi everyone! I'm just about to start a series of one-to-one interviews for my (qualitative) PhD research, and I'm looking to buy a digital voice recorder. Does anyone have any recommendations for a mid-range, reliable recorder? I've been looking at Sony and Olympus, but I'm not sure what to make of all the different features. Is there anything I should look out for in particular?
Thank you for your help :-)

D

Can I second this request please.
Although my main study is qualitative I am looking to explore some of the issues left unresolved with a follow on qualitative one. I will be looking to audio record clinical encounters in a physical therapy setting so need to capture sound from a whole room (not a large on though). The ability to export the sound files to a PC is also a requirement.

C

The Edirol R09-HR is a very good choice - I've just got one for my interviews. I got that one because my department for my MA had them so I'm used to it, and they'd done lots of research on best options. The reviews online are excellent for it. It does have a lot of features, including double-tracking (not sure when that'll come in handy!) but does all the basics, including plugging into your PC/ Mac with USB (leads all provided), working with battery or mains electricity and good sound quality.

Hi, I have used an Olympus WS-200s for several years now, both for my MA and PhD. It is small, relatively cheap (well, it was anyway) from Amazon and pulls apart to give you a USB key with the recording in WMA format. I use Express Scribe (free download from NCH software @ nch.com.au) because it recognises my Infinity (again, cheap @ about £45 from Amazon) transcription footpedal. The recorder microphone is superb and I usually use this, however I have used a seperate tie-clip microphone when there is a lot of background noise. Hope this helps.

S

hi kezia
I've used a small and cheap Olympus (I can't remember which model! it's in my drawer in the lab!) bought from Argos; it has a USB cable for transfering wma files. When I need a voice recording (and my little olympus is not with me) I just use my mobile; and then transfer that as well. Two important things: (1) the capacity for recording (how much space) and (2) labeling the audio files; date and time, and subject.

The audio files all look the same. Its very easy to forget which one is which (or maybe it's just me?!) :p

good luck
love satchi

C

Hi Kazia.

I used this one http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/2581_digital_recorder_ws-560m_21294.htm

I think i bought it from amazon.. wasn't the cheapest one ( about £100) but was robust, sound quality was fabulous and easy to transfer from recorder to PC. All the best with your interviews, enjoy them.

Chuff

A

Hi Kezia

I got an Olympus (VN 5500PC, cost 45 euro approx) ex Amazon about a year and a half ago and have had no problems with it. It's small, easy to use and easily holds the ~60 interviews I have on it. It doesn't, however, transcribe them for you ;-) I second the post that says the files all look the same so I would certainly recommend that you relabel them on your Pc once you have copied them over. That said I still record and transcribe directly from the digital recorder and consider the PC versions backups. I written in a notebook with what's in each folder. the one thing I am sorry I didn't get at the time is a foot pedal to aid transcribing. I tried to get one online a couple of months ago but found it impossible to figure out if the footpedal (all pretty expensive BTW) would be compatible with my particular recorder. I managed to borrow one from my department which I can use with Express Scribe but it took so long to get everything working that I have reverted back to the trusty recorder itself. If you are going to be doing a lot of transcribing I would recommend that you consider buying a footpedal as well.

Good luck with it

A

D

Have you thought about the Livescribe Echo Smart Pen?

I really love it. I'm not sure what your budget is, but I this this little voice recorder / pen will blow you away.

K

Thanks guys! That helps a lot. I will have a look around and try some of them out. Have a good day!