Replies to PhD enquires

H

Hi There

I'm totally new to all this, so hi! I'm am currently looking for a PhD in the behvaioural neuroscience area of psychology. I've sent out loads of e-mails to prospective supervisors, some have responded and asked me to send in my research interests but many have just not replied!? Should i send follow up e-mails?, particulary to the supervisors i am really keen to work with? Didn't realise quite how lonely the whole PhD thing could be, but from looking at your posts...
Anyone know of any party PhD universities??? Holly

M

liverpool is an amazing city, and pretty damn good night life, should you get here, just email me and i'll show you round the night life ie the raz, modo's walkabout and some good hang outs, city always needs some inttelligent lasses, never a bad theng

H

Cheers, i've applied to liverpool so you never know!

S

Mr Chipz, are you named after a character in a James Patterson novel?

S

i'm in exactly the same boat, holly. the way i've gone about it is to read the potential supervisor's research papers, and they usually have parts in their discussion sections which identify areas which need further reaserch. if one (or more) of these areas seems like the sort of project you might be interested in, then use that as a basis for a PhD project idea. when you email these ideas to the supervisor, tell them about your own research interests; why you want to do resrach in that specific area; and any relevant modules/skills/expertise you might have in that specific area (almost like a covering letter).

Thats just a suggestion to make a better impact with an enquiry e-mail.

Good luck!

M

well holly, should you get in at liverpool and want a tour round some of the clubs and pubs of liverpool, just drop me a line [email protected] i'll do my best to give a good impression of our fair city