Research questions-where to locate in thesis?

A

Thanks Pink, I hadn't seen that bit in the phrasebank although I have it saved in my favourites!

D

Hi Ady,

I'm not sure if this would help but I have done something in my department that everyone is now emulating:

I have a general introduction page which I titled SYNOPSIS. Here, I talked about all the aspects of my thesis which allows the intended reader to understand what they're about to 'encounter'. It is a deep form of abstract but longer than the general type of abstract and serves like an avenue to express the thesis using the first person (taking charge) which is normally not present in most abstracts. It is more detailed and very precise about the general overview of what my thesis is all about. For example, I started off by saying why I was interested in the subject, what the current debates are, what I thought needed investigating; what my first study was, what I found and the need to investigate further and my further investigation led to chapters a, b, c etc. I then gave summary overviews of chapters.

One major advantage of this style of pre literature review is that, it puts you in charge (as I was doing this, surprisingly I felt in control throughout and after my sups read through my synopsis, they had to recommend the style to the head of department) and may also give your potential examiners the impression that you know what you're doing. Mind you, you're also using that moment to demonstrate that "I have done this...', 'I have carried out this research'; 'I have..." giving you the best place to demonstrate all the works that YOU have done in your own language using the VERY FIRST PERSON, which you may not have the 'academic right' to do in your actual thesis using the first person.

Why did I use 'synopsis'? My second sup is not a keen lover of the first person in any thesis and she vehemently refutes it within any research. I thought of a way of giving strength and power to my research and it dawned on me that I could be as subjective (individual research strength) as possible with an excuse page called synopsis. It worked. It was not my thesis, it was my idea of 'introducing' my thesis.

Mm sorry just a moment of reflection there... :-x

A

That's really interesting Dgold - I'll think I'll print it out and read it properly a few times over.

In fact I'll think I'll print out the whole thread so as to consult as my thesis comes together.

Thanks Everybody:-)

C

Hi Ady,

My research question is first shown in the introduction, on page 9 to be exact.

but it is repeated a few times throughout the thesis where it seems relevant.. and certainly it is repeated again at the start of the methodology ie this method will aim to answer, and at the start of the conclusion - if that makes sense.

my contribution, massive as it is ;-), is in my abstract. The thesis offers a contribution to knowledge in XXX and it is repeated in the introduction and the conclusion. ( there's a wonder i had room to write anything else)

Never too soon to start thinking of these things. Chuff.

A

Thanks Chuff, interesting.

Best of luck with your viva which I think is pretty soon - you sound like you'll do brill (up)

C

Thanks Ady,

Appreciate the faith :-)

One more mini point, i've just re-read your question - do not infer anything ... my sup would have killed me.

You have made a contribution, 'be certain, if you don't believe it no other buggar will' i think i was told. Put me in my place!

A

Yikes, thanks Chuff, point taken!