Reviewing articles for 'blacklisted' journals

T

I've just been sent a request to review a paper from a journal that is on this list of blacklisted journals:
http://scholarlyoa.com/2015/01/02/bealls-list-of-predatory-publishers-2015/

The paper in question is a relevant topic for me because it's the species I work on, so I know they've asked me because of this.

Whilst I wouldn't publish here, is it still ethical to review a paper from this journal?

I know my literature area inside out so from a quick skim through I can already see paragraphs copied directly from papers they have cited, so I might reject on grounds of plagiarism anyway, although the actual experimental study looks ok.

What is a 'blacklisted' journal exactly, ToL?

G

I didn't know about this list ToL - thanks for posting the link. Very interesting. Hmmm I'm not sure about your question, but do you want your name to be associated in any way with such a journal? I'm not sure what their specific 'crimes' are, but I would probably think about that. Do they publish a list of the names of their reviewers? If so, perhaps it's best to avoid.

I'm only going on gut instinct though. I'm sure more experienced hands than me can give you some better advice.

P.S. Eds: if you follow the link, there's lots of info about what makes them 'blacklisted'.

Thanks worm. Pirates!

T

Yes I was going to check whether they listed their reviewers. I don't really want my name associated with this journal, but on the other hand I'm excited because this is the first review that I've been asked to do. There's only a few groups around the world working on my species, so I'm pretty sure who has written the paper as well. I think it's a group from Africa and maybe they might find it difficult to publish elsewhere so maybe that's the reason they've opted for this journal.

If you do call them on plagarism, say, it will be a public demonstration of your integrity won't it? Or would they just not publish it?

T

I don't know, I will have to check the reviewing guidelines to see if that's grounds for rejection, or just major revision. I also have the option to edit the text and say specifically what they need to improve, so I could do that. Since they have cited the reference, it's probably a language thing/not understanding how to paraphrase properly rather than something deliberate.

I checked with my supervisor as well and he said he thinks it's ok to review for these journals but he wouldn't want to publish in them as they are not reputable and have no impact factor.

Ah but that's now- bet he would have when he was starting out!