Scruffy...forever?

B

Does doing a PhD give you license to be scruffy and unwanted?

Flicking through my newly arrived Next catalogue I dream of nice clothes and shiny hair...oh and a bit of lip gloss. Instead I sit here with my hair sticking up in all directions, my tracksuit bottoms on and slippers! Very rock and roll! 8-)

A

I have nice clothes and shiny hair... and three pairs of socks on:-)

R

Lip gloss with tracksuit bottoms and slippers would be even more rock and roll, probably quite Kate Moss really, though I've not seen any pics of her in that outfit :-)

I've got nice clothes and shiny hair too. And woolly tights under my tracksuit bottoms (not included in the 'nice' category) but I wouldn't go to college like this - my license for scruffiness has limits!! Catalogues are very good for escapism though!

P

I, unfortunately mes amis, am a true BUG. I haven't any nice clothes, my hair is permanently out of order ! and on very good days, on goes some eyeliner and even a pair of ear rings!

R

I don't really have a choice as I work with fashion and design people... being scrutinised goes with the subject. It's annoying when you feel a bit bleeughh on some days and can't be bothered. I bet it's not like that working with sociologists - or is it?

S

I had to do that embarrassing snort laugh reading this - ohhhhhh I feel your pain - currently I am modelling a uni hoodie, a pair of old scruffy jeans that don't even fit me, some particularly flattering pink fluffy socks and makeup??? ermmmm yes, better go put some on - at least some eyeliner - before going on the school run incase I traumatise people - hair - sigh - I remember when my hair was perfectly highlighted and styled more than once a year - however - drum roll.................... I'm going to the hairdresser tomorrow - the road kill/yeti look is getting to me slightly now as it hasn't been touched since July (and I have some grey - damned uni) and I may look partially respectable for a few weeks. I have to as I have to go to a conference thingy next Mon in London and am not sure that the 'phd student' look will cut it - no idea what to wear though, heck I've been at uni for 4+ years now where the dressed up look tends to stand out lol and I have NO poshish type clothes that fit me as we're so skint that buying clothes I might wear once a year or so seemed a waste - better the £4 jeans from tesco that I can wear til they fall apart - ahhhhh to be smart again...........

P

oh ologists can all be v scruffy LOL, rubyw you work with jewellery right? You must have a lovely sense of fashion and design! Wish I could get tips :)

P

jeans for 4 ?????????????????????? Stressed WHERE?

I want those. NOW.

B

======= Date Modified 06 Jan 2009 13:35:45 =======
======= Date Modified 06 Jan 2009 13:35:02 =======
I do have a meeting with my supervisor tomorrow so will make an effort! Sitting on the edge of my bathroom cabinet is a hair colour (bright red) which I keep picking up. May do that this afternoon.

Nearly broke my neck slipping on the snow and ice in the garden as I skidded to the tumble dryer arms full of wet washing in my slippers!

W

I am currently sitting in bed wearing my pj's, a nightie, 2 cardigans, socks and woolly slippers! I also have a hot water bottle here but appear to have misplaced my mind!

S

Oh Walrus.. you not well? Or are you having a pj day? Love them, sadly my kids need to go to school so I have to break the student rule and get up before 10am lol.

Bug, tesco had them, and asda, really cheap - pretty naff and not exactly stylish lol but they at least cover you up he he he.

Ruby, wow, it must be nice though to have a good reason to dress up nicely and look good - I love jewellery and it sounds fascinating! Lol, yep, as Bug confirms sociologists are quite probably the scruffiest dept lol - I did a joint honours BA half of which was sociology! My dept aren't exactly tidy - the office staff look good though lol lol lol - although you always get one who dresses up to the nines in class!

S

as an undergrad, we always used to play the 'spot the arts/languages student' game - for some reason they always looked dressed up for a night on the tiles, whilst i was stumbling around in jeans, hoodie and trainers with hair like a birds nest!! i justify it by telling myself that at least when i DO make an effort to get dressed up (on the rare occasions i go anywhere worth dressing up for!) people will really be able to tell the difference and will be amazed that yes i do own makeup and a hairbrush!! (at least i hope they'll notice....:$ !!!) having said that, i'm in the officies of my industrial partner today so look vaguely presentable....!

R

Stressed and Phdbug (or can I call you Bug now??!!) what about Primark then? Very cheap and 'fashion forward' as the jargon goes, and as good as a lot of other more expensive stuff on the high street.

hehe yes, my BA was Social Sciences and it was a different style of dress to where I am now, but I was feeling too polite to make any generalisations about sociologists lol! I suppose it is quite nice to be where people wear interesting things or appreciate whatever you've got on, but the downside is it makes me a bit anxious sometimes as I'm not a 'proper' fashion person and I'm not keen on being given the once-over by fashion staff when I'm having an off day. It was loads easier to think of what to wear when I've done presentations for my sociologist supervisor's MA students in the past though, they really don't care which is *so* refreshing!

lol Smoobles, we do that too, we can usually tell whether an undergrad's in fashion, some other design subject or fine art - there is such a difference to the finely-tuned eye ;-)

S

Lol, primark - all worship the great god primark!!! Sadly we don't have one in my town, the nearest is about 20 miles away and a complete pain to get to so I don't get to go very often - I wish they'd set one up here - I just don't have the money for even high st atm let alone the more flashy shops. Ahhh, it would be soooo nice to be able to go into somewhere nice and get a lovely outfit lol - in time........

W

Aww Stressed, thanks for your concern. Not ill just working from home today as no lab work to do. My house is cold so I'm layering up! I will have to wear proper clothes in a bit though as am heading off swimming to try and work off some of the christmas blubber I seem to have gained!