Serious problems with supervisor and it's getting worse

M

I have two supervisors and they have been terrible in every way. They have given me bad advice on very important matters, given me wrong information, lied to me, lied to others about me including to the degree committee about my progress, threatened me with dismissal and stopping of funds over disagreements, have not even tried to solve the problems that they have caused with the department about me. They even went as far as contacting my funding institution, almost causing my funding to be stopped only because of a misunderstanding (their fault, not mine) without even trying to clear the air with me first.

I tried changing them but it can't work at my institution. The only way to get out of this situation is to finish the PhD ASAP or drop out, I'm already in my third year.

The quality of the research that I'm producing is really good, I have published a couple of really good papers at top journals. Their problem with me is personal, and it's because when they admitted me they were expecting me to work on a couple of projects that they had, while I wanted to do what I was interested in, and they don't like the fact that I am so independent to their disadvantage.

So I've had working on a project for a while and it's completed now, and they always discouraged me by telling me that I can't do it, that it's too difficult. I continued with the project and got great results. So I wrote the paper and didn't add them as co-authors. Paper was accepted last week and they lost it the moment they knew. Now they want a meeting to "re-evaluate my position as a student". I am expecting something serious from them.

Any advice? Did I go too far? I ethically did the right thing though, although people almost always add supervisors as co-authors regardless of contributions. Any ideas? Meeting is this Thursday.

M

OK, you have reached your 3rd year and it's too late to drop out the course now. If I were you, I would explain my concerns to them at the meeting, but try to take a neutral position. See their perspective of the story and compare it to yours. Be happy to partly compromise, if you want to see yourself with a PhD in the following years. I know it's damn hard, especially when people are unfair, but for the time being, just pretend that you care if you have to. When the PhD is over, just waive goodbye to everyone and walk out the department - for ever! It will be highly therapeutic doing so!

M

Thanks man. That seems to be the only way forward really.

I have tried explaining my concerns multiple times, they just don't listen. They say yeah yeah and then keep doing what they've been doing all along. Whenever they mess up, I've always happily accepted to do the clean up, accepted the responsibilities, and tried hard to keep this going but they don't make any attempts really.

I'm really looking forward to the time that the PhD is over. I will just leave and never ever come back... I'm sure it will feel awesome. that feeling is the only thing that keeps me going these days.

A

Maximo, I'm so sorry to hear of the issues you are having with your supervisors. It's good to hear that you've already got publications!

The issue is that as a PhD student, the work you do is under the mentorship and guidance of your supervisors, so I think unless they say otherwise, you are suppose to put their names as co-authors, but you list your name first.

As you are so close to finishing, and already have publications under your belt, it might be wise to just compromise and keep your head above water until you finish. As Marasp has suggested, take a neutral position and just keep trudging forward! Part of the issue could be ego, after all, you sound very independent which is great, and some supervisors would love to have you as a student, but others, might be resentful that you are not regarding them as 'higher beings' which is no fault of your own, but a tricky situation none-the-less.