Should I contact potential supervisors before applying?

M

I want to apply for some PhD’s advertised on findaphd.com but I’m unsure if I should send the cover letter and cv with the link on the advertisement or look up their email address and send it directly too them?

Also should I send them the application straight away or phone/email then to ask if I can apply?

R

yes, email them first before putting in a formal application. Express your interest in the project, attach your CV and try to arrange at least a phone interview.

C

It can't hurt to try and contact them, particularly if you have further questions about the project.

But I will add I am currently doing a PhD that i saw advertised on findaphd.com and i didn't make any contact with the supervisors before hand so it is not absolutley necessary to do so.

M

Yes. Give them a brief intro of yourself and experience and interest in the project and ask based on that, if they think you should apply. If you are unsure of the level of experience or type required for the project then this is the best approach. Plus it might also give you an indication of the level of competition you may face, one person I spoke to told me the level of interest he had for the project.

I have just been offered a PhD at Nottingham for which I contacted the supervisor directly first informally so it does no harm.

Some people reply, some don’t, out of maybe 8 I emailed 5 replied.

Good luck :O)

N

I went to a postgrad fair where the girl just totally sold me on the place I wanted to go, she then invited me over and set up a meeting with my potential supervisor. I had my proposal and my cv and an hour later a verbal offer. Yesterday my written offer arrived for Sept 09!! So yes approach where and who you want and sell yourself. Good luck!!