should I continue?

J

Hi yeah,
I am first year oversea PHD and i will finish the first year recently. Well, i need to cover all the fee of my suday, inculding livng fee here and 12,000 pounds tuition fee every year. It is really a huge finatial burden for me so i have to do lots of part-time job after my study every day which is really tired.

Because when I applyed this PHD degree 1 year ago i was still in my home country and got the master degree there. So I failed to apply for the scholarship. I planed to come here and continue to apply the funding. But after I have been here for 1 year I found it is really hard to get funding as a 2nd year PHD.

Should I give up my study now and apply for another new PHD in somewhere else? I really begin my study here for 1 year and I really do not want give up but the finatial is really...

Could anyone give me some suggestion?

Thank you!!

S

hi jane,
sorry to hear of your troubles. i am in a similar situation except i am lucky to pay less fees. i am also now wondering if/how i should continue.

the only advice i can give you is this: think about/remember WHY you want to do a PhD/this PhD. because, the PhD is just a step, not the final goal in life. so, if you want to get the PhD because you want an academic career and you want to be able to live of doing research, but getting a PhD makes you be miserable, never have enough money, and puts you off research, then getting a PhD/this PhD won't help you achieve your goals. Then, maybe, you should have an eye out for different possibilities for reaching your goal!
else, just persist, persist, persist.
are you part-time?
did you know - many places, once you are in the second year, you can apply for hardship funds.

J

hi, shani,

Thank you for your encouragement!! I really appreciate it and feel more powerful with accompanier together!

I am full-time although i work plenty of hours per week. I think i need to persist with your suggestion.

i will remember, persist, persist, persist!

V

Jane, if I were you, I would get absolute reassurance before embarking on the PhD that at least my fees would be covered by some source during the three or four years. I can't afford to invest time and money only to end up with an Mphil. I've been rejected several times for my funding applications, and I'm still looking for potential sources. I'll never go for it just with an offer letter. In the UK, some unis are quite willing to offer international students a place of study--it would be a promising source of income for them. So if you find yourself stuggling just to keep yourself going, it might be wise to look for a full-time job now whilst doing it pt. But the thing is, once you've started ft work, it is just so hard to settle yourself down to read and study.....Sigh.....sorry, I've been lecturing,no better advice really. But do wish you good luck, don't press yourself too hard. The PhD is not the whole of our life--that's the motto I use to console myself.