Similar Situation?

E

Hi Gals and Guys,
I haven't been on here for a while - what with renovating a 1930's semi, leaving work and moving in with the in-laws, I have been quite distracted! :(
Anyway, to cut a very long story short, I have been awarded a fees-paid bursary from the Uni of my choice to study part-time for my PhD. This is obviously great news, but I am unsure as to whether to accept or not, and I am wondering if anybody can either advise me, or basically empathise with my situation!
I ideally wanted to study full time, so I applied for a scholarship but was unsuccessful - they have strongly encouraged me to apply again next year, and in the meantime have offered me this bursary.
I studied for my MA part time whilst working full time, and got a really good mark but nearly killed myself in the process!
I now have a toddler, hence why I ideally wanted to study full-time with funding (don't we all?!) to reduce the stress of working/mothering/studying blah blah.

Anyway, my options for this year are to either decline the offer and wait to apply for full-time funding next year. Or, accept the offer, study part-time and work part-time. The only thing holding me back from saying yey is the financial side, mainly (very big) nursery fees. It would be a great foot in the academic door though, and i am so desperate to get started on this.

Is anybody else studying, working and looking after young children? I am sure many of you are, and I am just being precious about it!
I think I may just need some reassurance...

Sorry to go on, and thanks for listening :)

I'd say go for it, from what I've seen at my own uni, its the people who are already there who get the bursarys. So you can go and work for a year and try again, but in the meantime your face isn't seen around the department and some other little upstart will take your prospective PhDer place. If you are in the department and actively looking for funding then you are more likely to get it.

Not sure about child care - would an au pair be cheaper? I have no idea abou these kinds of things!

E

Thanks Sneaks!
I agree, I think that I am far more likely to get more funding if I am already there... and if it means struggling for a year, then it's worth it in the end.
My son is already in nursery, but it would mean increasing his hours. It's just another thing to add to the equation but these things are sent to try us!! :p

it could be worth talking to the uni - maybe they have grants or childcare help available?

S

Hi Emmab,

Had I been in your situation, I would start with part time and then switch to full time if I get full funding later. Currently, I am in full funding but have a daughter of 5, who when I started PhD was just 3. Obviously, childcare costs a lot. My hubby takes leave mostly when I need to go to supervision meetings, attend workshops etc (to reduce childcare cost) and in the worst case when he cannot help, I take help from a Childminder. I have a contract with her for this ad hoc help which is really helpful. I just need to inform her few days ahead and just pay for the hrs she looks after my daughter. Though sometimes juggle with all these, having had very understanding supervisors, they don't give me hard time for meeting in a very short notice. In fact, they had been very helpful for my fieldwork preparation which I had to conduct in my home country where I had to take my daughter along with me. Good luck to you.
Swetch