since when does PhD student mean PA to your supervisor!

S

ok when i applied for PhA i didnt also realise i was applying for position of general slave/admin /cleaner to my boss.... arg! does any one else feel that one sometimes!

H

I don't think it should ever mean you are PA to your supervisor. Although I have noticed many people on this forum are in a similar situation to you. A lot of demands are placed upon them by their supervisor. I wonder if this something that happens predominantly to science-based PhD students where working in the lab and dept is more common. Hmm...my supervisor makes me a cup of tea when I got for meetings and I can say many academic friends are very wary of treating PhD students that way. Interesting.

S

if he made me tea i think ill fall over in shock!

A

i never make tee or coffee for my supervisor, and he never asked! if he asked I might give him a finger!!but I know one prof in our departments he likes to treat his students as slaves and it makes him look so stuiped. every one else making jok about it. I think students have to stand for themselves or at least keep a minimum line not allowing prof to go through it. especially nasty prof.