so how bad IS the money?!!!

A

hi there!

i really want to do a phd but i'm worried about my finances. If i am able to get a funded phd, how much money is average? (my research area would be within veterinary science or zoology.)

i live on 14000 pa gross at the moment (working for a non profit making organisation). please say its at least that!!!

many thanks

S

Hi Az it depends if you are studying inside or outside London. I study in London which gives me London weighting and the average here at the moment is £14,350 pa taxfree. This is based on MRC rates (medical research council) and is due for review any time now, it should go up (I'm guessing by around £200-£300 pa but don't quote me). However its ridiculously expensive to live here in London so bear that in mind. I'm not sure what the money is likely to be outside London but it is sustancially less as it is supposed to be cheaper to live outside London. Having said that you may get lucky and get a higher paying studentship. Good luck(up)

A

I'm outside London and I get just over £12k. But the crucial thing is it is all tax free. I reckon it to be about the equivalent of £16k ish salary.

T

Its something like £2000 less, even if you study outside of London but rental prices (and most importantly beer prices :-s ) are comparable.

I think a funded PhD is enough to live on reasonably comfortably (depends what your standards are I suppose) but don't expect to accumulate many savings.

S

the standard stipend from the BBSRC (biotechnology and biological sciences research council) has just gone up to £12940 tax-free per year, which is roughly the equivalent of a salary of £17000, so it perfectly possible to live on this amount! i am lucky in that i get this stipend from the BBSRC and also a CASE award as my phd is partly funded by industry, but unfortunately this is the exception rather than the norm! actually, if you have a recognised veterinary degree the stipend goes up to £19,970 per year! http://www.bbsrc.ac.uk/funding/studentships/studentship_handbook.pdf, look at page 15 for stipend amounts.

you can also have a look at the Research Councils UK website for more info on the different funding bodies - www.rcuk.ac.uk.

A

I'm on £12940 tax free, NI free. It's just gone up by a couple of hundred pounds. My boyfriend used to be on £16,000 for a real world job (he's moved now) and we used to take home the same amount.

I have no problems with the amount in terms of paying rent, bills, car stuff etc but, lets face it, you won't be living a champagne lifestyle.

A

T

======= Date Modified 17 Oct 2008 10:19:34 =======
======= Date Modified 17 Oct 2008 10:19:10 =======
I am doing a PhD in the area of veterinary science/microbiology and I get a basic stipend from the BBSRC of £12,940 p.a. then an enhancement from my industrial partner as I am doing a CASE studentship; the minimum contribution from any CASE partner with the BBSRC is £2,500 p.a.. The BBSRC stipend for studying within London is currently £14,940 p.a. and remember all this funding is tax free. So by the looks of it you would be getting more money doing a PhD than what you are currently getting.

I just saw smoobles' post - As I understand it the £19,940 for the recognised veterinary degree only applies if that is written into the initial PhD proposal and the particular project specifically asks for a vet degree. I have a vet degree but alas I don't get that amount of money because it wasn't in the original proposal.

M

Everyone should be quite happy with their money - only 2/3 years ago it was significantly lower (£8-£10k).

Although you're not paying tax, try to pay your NI (if you plan to stay in the UK).

M

Quote From alice:

I'm outside London and I get just over £12k. But the crucial thing is it is all tax free. I reckon it to be about the equivalent of £16k ish salary.

Actually much higher if you add in cost of tuition fees.

A

Quote From missspacey:

Quote From alice:

Actually much higher if you add in cost of tuition fees.

And much lower if you count lost employer's NI, employer's pension contributions, bonuses, travel subsidies, employer funded study. I was relating it to money in your pocket equivalent.

I'm research council funded and in London and my stipend is £18,700 or there abouts plus I earn about £5k tax free on demonstrator jobs and other work but most of my money does go on travelling in london