Software for Analysis

H

Has anyone used software for content analysis, or any other analysis?

I did use Nvivo, but tbh, find it a bit rubbish and v expensive. I suppose if your thesis is all qualitative then its worth it maybe? but I used mixed methods.

I found, in the end, it was easier to use the comment function in word to highlight areas of the text and code them and then you can print 'comments only' or something and then code it manually.

H

======= Date Modified 17 Jun 2011 11:32:50 =======
Thanks Sneaks. I just downloaded a software called Concordance and it picks up words and shows how many times they are repeated. I'll look into Nvivo too. Anyone used SPSS?

SPSS for qualitative or SPSS in general? Yes I've used it in general, but I think maybe I remember Walminski using the qualitative program they have - can't remember

H

Quote From sneaks:

SPSS for qualitative or SPSS in general? Yes I've used it in general, but I think maybe I remember Walminski using the qualitative program they have - can't remember

SPSS qualitative.

D

Unless your university provides free Qualitiative software you might like look at dedoose which is web based and because you pay for it by the month appears to work out much cheaper than other options.

In answer to a question I sent I was told that you can drop your subscription at any point but then pick it up and all your data etc is retained so you can restart analysis.

P

Hi, I am well rehearsed in using NVivo 8 which you can use for content analysis. NVivo 9 now has an inbuilt process which I think allows you to link with SPSS so you can conduct quant analysis on qual data. If you can't get a licence perhaps use a simple Excel spreadsheet to record qual data numerically and then merge into SPSS so you can define variables / groups. Hope this helps.

H

Quote From palafour:

Hi, I am well rehearsed in using NVivo 8 which you can use for content analysis. NVivo 9 now has an inbuilt process which I think allows you to link with SPSS so you can conduct quant analysis on qual data. If you can't get a licence perhaps use a simple Excel spreadsheet to record qual data numerically and then merge into SPSS so you can define variables / groups. Hope this helps.

Thanks! Will check it out :)

A

For content analysis one you have coded it the way I did it was to create an SPSS coding sheet from that and then input it into excel 1st of stright into SPSS. it depends how you are using content analysis really and how written your coding protocol sheets and operational coding sheets. For the anlaysis depending what you are doing excell can now do basic ANOVAs and t-test as well,

I have used Nvivo as well but would not use it for content analysis, maybe having a quick look at word frequency but use that for more thematic analysis after. I would say with Nvivo it deff looks like other said more useful that it sometimes can be.

Good luck