Some Advice is welcome Thanks!

M

Hi,

I am currently doing my research project for my MSc in Genetics which i expect to finish around may-jun. I am quite sure that what I wish is to continue my career with a PhD obviously in a related area, but I have few points that i do not have really clear.

I coursed my career in Spain, where the education system was quite different as the degree is divided in 4 years, doing a total of 300 credits, which I think is like doing degree and master in any other european country.spite, I moved to UK trying to find job, which didn't come and I decided to save money and go for the Master.

Now here are my doubts:

I have around 6,14 from my Biotechnological career in Spain (4 years) plus I expect around 60-65% for my MSc.

Is it a good background for a PhD possition?

How does it counts when I am applying for a PhD? Are they enought marks? are they good enought?

Also, for applying, its is really important that i have not finish the MSc yet?

And when applyining, do yo recomend to contact the supervisor previosly? What I should say.....

Other problem that I have...is that I am not really "crazy" for any particular topic...What I know is I LOVE science and from my experience, I love the day by day motivation that It gives me....

Oh dear, I am a bit lost....so If you can give me a hand....I will really apreciate.

Thanks!!!

C

======= Date Modified 08 Apr 2009 10:08:51 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
======= Date Modified 07 Apr 2009 20:22:36 =======

Quote From Markus:

Now here are my doubts:

I have around 6,14 from my Biotechnological career in Spain (4 years) plus I expect around 60-65% for my MSc.

Is it a good background for a PhD possition?

How does it counts when I am applying for a PhD? Are they enought marks? are they good enought?

Also, for applying, its is really important that i have not finish the MSc yet?

And when applyining, do yo recomend to contact the supervisor previosly? What I should say.....

(Oops..sorry I did not read the bit about you coming to the UK to study! Doi!), If your University's marking scheme is similar to mine, 60-65% will get you the equivalent of a Merit so yes I would say thats good enough to apply! The final choice is down to the supervisor of course. However I have no idea what a 6, 14 correlates to so please forgive my ignorance! >.< If you look at the projects offered on findaphd.com, the adverts should stipulate the backgrounds that they would prefer in a student, for example my background is Medical Science and Toxicology and I am applying for cancer/DNA repair related projects, so most I have applied for said they want a student who has a background in "biological" or "life" sciences.

From my experience, I started applying for PhDs when I was still studying for my MRes: it shouldn't matter that you haven't finished yet, a lot of students on my Masters course went straight through to a PhD but do keep up the good work... and yes, absolutely contact the supervisors whose projects and research areas you are interested in! And start off by telling them what you have told us: your background, likely result of your MSc, explain why you want to do a PhD etc etc..

M

Many thanks for the advice! That encourage me! Lets work for it and fingers cross.

Thanks again!