SOMEONE HELP I NEED ADVICE FAST!

M

My choices:

a) do a phd in england at manchester uni, where i did my maters with a supervisor who's literally the most accommodating and helpful human being on the planet. Have my parents pay the whopping 10 grand for three years as im not eligible for funding...

b) do a pdh in australia FOR FREE in postcolonial studies which is my speacialty, with quite a renouned prof (bill ashcroft) but who might not be very helpful, esp since he is constantly writing books and looking after his own publications...Oh and i havent been there in ages, dont know anyone and dont know if i would even like it.

Heres the rub: if i apply and get accepted in April to my UK phd (which my supervisor has basically said yse) i wil get a 20% bursary from the school amounting to 2000 pounds which is nothing to sneeze at. So basically i have to make this decision NOW. my question to everyone who knows anything about this : IS IT REALLY IMPORTANT WHERE YOU DO A PDH? WILL A BRITISH PDH GENERALLY BE CONSIDERED A BETTER QUALITY PROGRAM GLOBALLY THAN AN AUSTRALIAN ONE? Please any advice would be useful.

M

ps im australian - that should make more sense.

H

What do your parents say? Can you get an honest opinion from them?

If you were paying the £10,000 what would your decision be?

A PhD is a time to stand on your own two feet and begin to go it alone. It sounds as though your Australian PhD would definitely offer you that. Can you speak to other students of this Prof? What do they say about his supervisory style?

Best of luck,
Hilary

S

does the money matter? i mean, will your parents have to forgo something important, or is it just a matter of them putting a little less into a savings account or not buying that cool fourth car?

if the money doesn't matter, do what you prefer and you think best. if it does, consider carefully what you are really "buying" with your parents' money. (i guess that's why you are writing here)

i felt really sick when my funding didn't come through and my mum said she would forgo her own university course in order to be able to help me out financially. i could have done a PhD which would have come with a decent wage, instead i chose to follow my fancies... and what if it turns out to be less great than you thought?

M

Assume that the money isnt a problem. I know about the whole standing on my own two feet - my paernts wont forgo anything to do this. its not a problem financially for them at all. So funding isnt the question really.

the question is: is it better to do a pdh in australia? or in england?...if such a question can be answered...

C

Isn't Manchester great?

I would answer this question in terms of non-academic comparison, since it seems pretty moot to compare Australian and British PhD standards. Instead think about it in terms of lifestyle changes.

Perhaps going back to Australia would be either a refreshing change, or a distracting change. Having done your MA in Manchester you may be used to a more temperate Northern European climate and the lifestyle that goes with that. Starting a new PhD in Australia might be extra stressful if you are having to adapt to that.

I really couldn't live or study in a climate warmer than our own. Even in France or Spain in the summer I feel dizzy and irate. I certainly couldn't concentrate on PhD stuff. That said, it would be amazing to live in Australia - it certainly looks beautiful.

B

Try to find out how many PhD students the potential supervisor in Australia has at the moment, and how many he has seen through to completion (this will give you an idea of their 'PhD record').

By the way, my ex-supervisor (I've finished now) is a very big name in his field ... and ALWAYS made time to see me.

If Manchester will give you a '20%' bursary does that mean they'll also pay your fees on top of this? If not, I'd be inclined to go for the Australian PhD offer ... a PhD is a good thing to do, but not worth ending up £30, 000+ in debt (even if this is to your parents!).

Finally, the Uni that the potential supervisor in Australia is at is also well renowned!!!

C

Hey, I'm researching post-coloniality and have to say if I had a chance to work with Bill Ashcroft, I'd be there like a shot!!! (plus, the sunshine! - not very helpful i know!) Good luck with your decision!!