Starting over

E

I've read in several threads about people who are on their second PhD.
My project (end of third) year, has been falling apart over the last year so I have to face up to the possibility that a successful outcome is unlikely - if you are keen to read more check out my other topic " What would you do".

I still want a career in science and thus a PhD, the last awful years haven't changed that, but while I do my best to sort out my current project, I want to try and apply to other projects - as a safety net in a way.

I am just not sure how to explain the past three years. Being brutally honest - i.e. my project is failing due to lack of funding and shitty supervision - would be an option, but I am scared of being considered a trouble maker. Skirting the truth would be an option, but a MPhil obviously is recognized by anyone as a failed PhD.

Any thoughts?

H

You have my sympathies.

I dropped out of a PhD over a year ago. I feel it's quite likely I will undertake another at some point, but have also used the gap to switch to a different field. Quite how to explain those years on my CV is something I've not quite sussed out yet, particularly as the first year of my funding enabled me to do a few short rotations, so it's a bit hard to put down something waffly about '200X-200Y: research undertaken in the Z lab' as there were some other places as well. I didn't bother trying to get an MPhil out of the situation, so I don't have that dilemma.

One thing I would say - if your current situation is really beyond redemption, don't jump headfirst into another project. You need a break, intellectually and emotionally. I was given the opportunity to stay on in lab Z and do a different project focussed on my other interests, but apart from the fact I really wanted to get away from that particular enviornment, the idea of starting another PhD on the back of one which had done me a fair amount of damage was not an appealing prospect. It took me a good few months to recover in various ways. The last thing you want to do is end up in the arms of an unsuitable project 'on the rebound'! ;-)

E

You are absolutely right - I need to avoid choosing another rubbish project.
I am, however, 100% sure that a PhD is what I want and thus don't want to loose any time in continuing if my current efforts in rescuing my project fail.
I have definitely developed skills in the last three years, both in the lab and through the university's excellent skills programme.
It is just my supervisor that is completely unsupportive. The department is lethargic at best.
I am consequently trying to suss out how to turn the work I've done into something positive, but I am obviously worried I will not be able to convince anyone to give me a second chance.

A

Emily

Sounds like you've had a hell of a time !
To try and squeeze a tiny bit of good out of the whole nightmare,
So that others can learn from your experiences,

Knowing what you now know....
What qualities would you look for in your next dept. / supervisor.
What would you change this time round ?