Starting PhD

P

Hi all, I'm starting a PhD this week in Humanities, and thought I would drop by to say hello. It seems quite daunting to me, but I am also very excited! I've met some fellow phd students already at an introduction course, and most seem to be really friendly.

One question - I have the same supervisor that I had for my masters. He is easy going and friendly, although up until now I have always referred to him as professor (surname) in my correspondence. I recently read a book on how to get a phd and it advised that students at phd level should overcome that formality barrier with their supervisors and be on first name terms. Any thoughts on this?

S

Hi,

The same problem here...

I started with 'sir' as in my country teachers are respectfully called as sir or maam. Later, I sometimes wrote using Prof. & surname. Now, I have two supervisors. One is a lady supervisor. To address both of them together, I really struggle as surnames r quite longer! Finally, dared to address both with names....really feeling odd. No idea how would they react? Have not heard so far....:-( I am just wondering whether my mail caused disappointment!!

A

I've always called my sups by their first names with the exception of my interview, and when I'm introducing them to others when I call them both by titles and sir names (the majority of the time).

My advice - tell them you feel awkward about it! Say, "As we'll be working together quite closely, would you mind if I call you Bruce/Sandra/etc..."

Good luck.

A

S

My dept is quite informal in this respect - although I always go by how they sign themselves to me - I always use Dr/Professor XXXXXX the first few times I mail, but if they reply signing with their first name then I use that instead. Having said that, we know most of them by their first names - I've always referred to my sup by his (and a shortened form at that) - I think he'd feel v uncomfortable if I called him by his title. It is difficult first time off - but as far as I understand it, when you move out of the 'student' mode and into research as you are in a Phd then the boundaries come down to a certain extent - even though I've been in my uni for 4 years now through BA and MA I've noticed the whole tone with which I'm spoken to has changed completely - far more chatty and informal even with the few members of staff who are very formal normally. I still treat them with the utmost respect - genuinely, not out of some deference thing, I do respect them and I hope that comes across (apart from my sup who although I respect him 100% I've always been very informal and friendly with - but that's how he is).

Good luck in your Phd - I'm a few months ahead of you - started in Sept - its a hard road and these first few months are v strange, but its good :-)

P

I think stressed has got it about right.
Generally you need to take the lead from them -- with people I've met/ am planning on working fairly close with, but haven't emailed before, I tend to say Dear Andrew (I hope it's OK if I address you like this).... or something to that ends. After all it'll just come across as sweet (I figure) rather than inappropriate.... with everyone else I start using Dr. xx form and then if they reply with their first name, use that....
I think the best thing is to be relaxed about it, I'm sure it;s equally awkward for them sometimes!!
Sx

M

Personally I would refer to a supervisor by their first name right from the outset. In my view, anyone who asks me to call them by their title is not someone I want to work with... everyone knows the qualifications/job title of their supervisor, don't need to be reminded of it at every opportunity. I don't think that kind of formality is helpful for a good working relationship.

Maybe it's just based on where I have studied, but right from first year as an undergrad it is common for students to address staff by their first name.

J

break the barrier and call him by hist first name. A PhD is different to a masters. You need to now consider yourself on slightly more of the same level as your professors, and they should treat you the same way. Also, as someone said the first few months are difficult. I am just coming up to a year now and am surprised I am not a mental wreck by now! Any concerns you have, just look for similar posts on here or post your own and people will reply. Everyone on here is really good, and always trying to help each other. Just remember, whatever difficulties you may encounter, someone else has probably had them too, it is just part of being a PhD student! Good luck and see you on the other side!

P

Thanks for all the advice. I took the plunge and sent an email to my supervisor using his first name. Awaiting his reply!

O

======= Date Modified 30 Jan 2009 09:31:43 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
Removed - irrelevant content & advertising.