Starting Quote

Has anyone managed to start their thesis WITHOUT a quote? every one I pick up has a quote to begin with, but I can only find one thats relevant and I feel a bit precocious or something, adding it in.

N

I think a quote would be quite nice, I'm nowhere near writing my thesis but my supervisors want me to start it and each chapter with an autobiographical section - now that's cringey and pretentious!

B

I didn't have a quote at the start. I was a humanities student. Neither did my husband in his PhD thesis (computer science). I think they're superflous and daft :p

D

I didn't have a quote either, in fact I never even considered the possibility! However, I am in the science field so I guess this may be a subject related quirk?

S

I've liked quotes at the start of writing ever since I wrote a night-before essay where the quote at the start and the conclusion linked up perfectly. Just seemed like a nice bit of structuring.

I've already picked my starting quote. It's from the Wealth of Nations and serves as a talisman against (what I imagine) would be the main arguments against my thesis.

I've also got quotes for the start of my chapters, generally from ex-Presidents to add a bit of primary source oompha to the chapters arguments.

P

I've got a quote at the start of each chapter - feel a bit bad about it now!!

Quote From patience_1:

I've got a quote at the start of each chapter - feel a bit bad about it now!!

Don't feel bad! I think if I could find one from a good source then that would be fine, but I can't find a relevant one from anyone who's credible etc - everyone I know starts out with one by someone famous, and usually dead e.g. plato, aristotle etc. I can only find one who is the equivalent of richard branson :-s

A

I have quotes at the start of each chap too and can't believe how much attention my supv has given them -there was me thinking that they weren't that important. I mean nice to read but do they really matter? Eh,. yes!! He has questioned them, liked them, suggested finding alternatives, told me expand them etc - a LOT of attention. They are all from one theorist, with the exception of one quote which is about the theorist! Both theorist and other guy are dead so that's okay!! Finding it difficult to find apt ones for my analytical chapters though:-( sort of wish I hadn't started...

W

I have seen a few theses without quotes. Actually, I was planning on not putting one in. Some of it is laziness and not wanting to spend the time mining quote resources for one that fits in with my thesis. Readers (i.e. examiners) will be drawn to that, and it will set the mood. If it is not something you want to incorporate, either by the person or by the quote itself, then don't include it. Just my 2 pence.

C

I'd not really considered having a quote but now starting to see one could be useful. I won't use one unless I spot something specific over the next few months. I don't think most the thisis I've looked at have had quotes though so don't think they're necessary.