stranded half way with a masters... :(

D

hey ppl.. am Venkatesh and u can call me V.. am currently pursuing a masters degree in bioinformatics at University of Liverpool.. i am a graduated Vet from India and i realise the big blunder i did selecting this course.. its more of programming than life or animal sciences what the program info claimed to be on the uni brochure..so here i am doomed to suffer everyday.. i wish to know whether there wud be a possible ph.d in life sciences or biomedical sciences here in UK.. i have paid enhanced fees in international proportions so i feel it wud be another blunder to go for a second masters paying the same fees again.. i wish someone could guide me on how to proceed heading towards a probably succesful ph.d studentship.. guys, i have tried enough GooGle-ing and forum posts but in vain.. can some one help me out??:(

R

www.findaphd.com

good luck

L

Not being funny, but the word Bioinformatics basically describes the course - and I've looked on the website and it goes on and on about computers so not really sure how you managed to misunderstand the course content.

As for a PhD....how did you manage to find this forum but not the website of PhDs? And if you are doing Bioinformatics you will know how to get the best out of a search engine

T

Like lil_miss says the course title does indicate that the course will have a large programing content. However, if you want to go on to do a PhD then that sort of knowledge will be very useful so don't be too disheartened by it. There are lots of biological science PhD's advertised and so I would suggest using findaphd.com to search for one you like the look of. Are there no possibility of staying on at Liverpool to do a phd?

D

hey ppl.. thanks a million for the replies.. and unlike lil_mis says above bioinformatics has two major branches i.e informatics AND biosystems.. i got ripped off by the formal.. and in liverpool uni, they dont see international students as students.. they jus see them as mere fund raisers..once they get them in, they milk the money out n skin them.. honestly, thats the brutal truth.. no considerations for academic excellence bro..fine. i did use FindAPhD.com.. quite useful..again it says project available for self funded canditates adding fuel to the fire.. thanks a lot once again ppl.. i get to see some hope now.. cheers..

H

I was looking for your course and couldn't find it but then realised it is called "Biosystems and Informatics". I looked up the course and basically, there is one small module on biosystems (7.5 credits), all the others are computing/bioinformatics (15 credits each) ones or related to research.

Did you not look at the course content before paying all that money?

Bioinformatics is all about using biological information and this almost always done via computers.

D

people people people.. this is the whole controversy about.. the description of course isnt what is being followed in the pedagogy and please stop commenting or criticising abt the decision-making aspects.. i am not one of those persons who jump into the field without prior analysis.. this yr the course structure has been revamped.. now that i am into it, i should be better thinkin of a brighter chance than to sit back and weep about the past choice.. i dont believe in that approach anytime.. the course information is infact very descriptive but please do understand it is Bioinformatics and not Computational biology.. anyways...

H

If the course structure is different to what you were originally told, you could get a refund. You paid for something you didn't get.

H

By the way, what you said in the last post, hardly makes sense.