STRESS!

K

I know I am ridiculous, but I am so stressed waiting to hear whether the examiners liked the corrections I did for my revise and resubmit I am dreaming about it all night, I have a horrible skin rash thing and I am so run down. I thought I would feel relieved when I had resubmitted, but if anything it is more stressful than submitting for the first time! I was told I shouldn't need a second viva, but I am so scared of going through it all again and not getting a good outcome.

Logically, I know I did a pretty good job of doing not only everything they required, but also everything they suggested, and it was all checked by my supervisor. I am still terrified I will fail. Someone talk some sense into me!

A

Hi Kukuka

Just a few words of encouragement :-). If you feel in your heart of hearts that you have actually addressed what the examiners wanted and your supervisor has looked at your resubmission, logically it sounds like it will be fine. I can empathise with the dreaming and waking up at night as that's about where I'm at. I am submitting in a few weeks and I am so riddled with self doubt about it that I am nearly ill with worry.

While you got, if I remember correctly, a blend of minor and major corrections (sounds like your panel invented a new category of viva outcome!) they did say that you shouldn't have to resit another viva. I think it sounds like it's going to work out this time.

Postive thoughts being willed your way (up)

C

The only thing that I can say is that I understand your feelings.

I submitted my corrections last week, and I was told yesterday that they won't be able to look at them until the end of September! I was wondering why they gave me the 3 months deadline, when I could do everything in 1 week. Here is the answer, the examiners are both on holiday! Aaaaarggghhh!!!

What happens if more adjustments are needed? There will be very little time left then. All this is nerve-wrecking to say the least. I know that I will spend the next six weeks eating my fingers. But realistically these people want us to pass. I don't think it's in their interest that students fail at this stage.

I will have to read the "positive thinking" thread a few times today though!

Bon Courage!

D

Hi Kikuka, I know where you are coming from. I am also waiting for conformation that all corrections are ok or info on what they would prefer me to do instead, this has been the case for weeks now! It is a limbo stage that is really hard to deal with, that said I am also in the middle of moving, post interview, etc so many facets of my life are in limbo stage right now. I find limbo world quite depressing, at least when decisions are made you can get on with things. Keeping busy helps to focus your mind elsewhere!

K

Hey Kikuka! I know a bit how you feel- I found it hard to celebrate after my viva even though I just got very minor corrections. It's only now that my corrections have been accepted and everything is done and dusted that I am finally starting to relax. So I think it's understandable that you feel pretty stressed. I was very lucky as my corrections were approved in less than 24 hours (my internal examiner was off on holiday in a week so I guess she just wanted to get rid of them), but it was a good feeling when they were accepted. I think with the corrections, as long as they are more or less okay, I don't think your examiners will make you change anything else. I get the impression they just scan through them pretty quickly- they won't need to read through the whole thing again. And at the end of the day, they won't want to have to go through another round of receiving corrections after the first lot either. If you're confident (logically!) that you've addressed them, and your sup is in agreement, then I reckon you'll be just fine. Best of luck, KB

K

======= Date Modified 30 Aug 2011 08:51:53 =======
Hi everyone

Has anyone heard anything yet? Nothing happening here, but I am hoping now we are at the end of August people will be returning from holiday and things will start happening. I had really hoped to know the outcome before my hols (in 3 weeks) but I am doubtful now. Good luck to all awaiting the outcome of corrections.

K

Hi everyone
Just wondering if anyone has had any news on their corrections? I haven't heard anything yet though I do know there was a delay in getting the documents to the examiners so although I submitted my corrections three weeks ago they have only been with the examiners for a week. I had really hoped to have heard by the time I go on holiday on Sunday, but I know that won't happen now as I can't expect the examiners to get through it all so quickly, and have time to let me know. It would have been so nice to know though and finally relax or alternatively get used to the idea that I failed.
As time goes on  I become more convinced that I am going to fail. I just don't know what I will do if that is the case.:-(

D

I am also still waiting for my corrections to be signed off. These have been in since end July and the graduation deadline has now passed. Have to say I am feeling very deflated after getting them in within three weeks (as suggested at viva) for the graduation this year. I have phoned and emailed about this but no-one seems to be interested in finalising this at all. I think I have given up on graduating to be honest :-(

C

I am in the same boat really. I understand that I won't get any news until the end of the month, which makes the deadline for graduation in November, very tight. A few days delay could mean that I won't be able to graduate untiil July. What was the point to submit in early May?? AAAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!

A

@Kikuka, Dunni and Corinne - really feel for you guys; the pace of academia is soooo slow it drives me mad. Hope you all get good news soon and you ALL graduate :-)

C

Thank you Ady,

I didn't think that the post-viva period could be more stressful than the viva itself!

If you think that I handed the final draft of my thesis to my supervisor in early March, for the last few comments, it makes 6 months of: 1) getting the monster printed and bound, 2) submit soft copies to Registry; 3) wait 3 months for the viva, 4) carry out the corrections; 5) wait for feedback from the examiners, etc.

We tend to see the viva as the final step - and for people who don't get any correction at all, it is - but for the majority of us, this is a further step, and it is so hard. You are so near the end, but still there is something lingering around...

Anyway, enough of moaning. How is your work going?

A

@ Corinne: I think, actually, I am now beyond stress and at make or break! If I don't submit by the end of this month I am seriously thinking of reassessing where I'm at. On a positive note my external examiner is onboard as is my internal examiner and my exam board has been passed by faculty (that's what's involved at my uni, no intention to submit form here). I have to take this as a positive sign as it does mean that my supervisor feels I will submit by end of Sept.

Very few people seem to go through this process stress free although a colleague passed his viva last week with no corrections having submitted in 2 1/2 years in just two drafts! His thesis is 72,000 words long and his viva was just over one hour. He really should write one of the those 'how to ...' books as he did his PhD pretty strategically and it worked! We started the same day :$

sorry Kikuka, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Hope you get good news on your corrections soon (up)

D

Quote From ady:

Very few people seem to go through this process stress free although a colleague passed his viva last week with no corrections having submitted in 2 1/2 years in just two drafts! His thesis is 72,000 words long and his viva was just over one hour. He really should write one of the those 'how to ...' books as he did his PhD pretty strategically and it worked! We started the same day :$

sorry Kikuka, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Hope you get good news on your corrections soon (up)

Good on your colleague but don't compare yourself. Ady, you had a LOT to contend with and are doing a PhD in good time and with a family to look after and take care of. Your colleague may not have been faced with the same pressures... You'll do it!!!

K

I feel for you guys too having to hang on for so long. Much as I disliked my internal examiner she was very quick to deal with the corrections. I have just had a revise and resubmit verdict on a journal paper I submitted though so I have a nice big list of complicated corrections to get on with for that....I get the feeling corrections of one sort or another are life-long in this career!

I will also have to wait until next July now to graduate as my uni only has one graduation per year. My uni said that you are officially 'Dr' once the corrections have been accepted though so am not too bothered about the graduation thing. Hoping to hear some good news from you guys soon- we should have a 'corrections accepted' thread on here as well as 'I passed my viva' threads :)

Best, KB

A

Quote From delta:

Good on your colleague but don't compare yourself. Ady, you had a LOT to contend with and are doing a PhD in good time and with a family to look after and take care of. Your colleague may not have been faced with the same pressures... You'll do it!!!

He didn't though to be fair it's relative I think. Still, I try not to compare myself to others; at least not on a Monday. Tomorrow now might be another matter...;-)