Student already decided before interview

N

Hi guys,

I've just found out after an interview I went to recently that the PhD was given to a candidate already doing an undergraduate degree at that department who already knew the supervisor. This might just be me being bitter, but I'm way more qualified than the other candidate (we chatted for a while before hand), and I was wondering whether anyone else has experienced this; basically a supervisor already knowing who they want bu interviewing because they have to? I've asked for feedback as to why I didn't get it, but haven't heard anything for weeks.

S

in a word yes!!.. a friend got offered a PhD project within out department that i had not seen advertised.. until three weeks later it was advertised in new scientist.. and we got asked to show the interviewees around... knowing the project was taken.

N

I can't believe that - apart from the fact that I will lose money in travel costs (unless reimbursed), I'll also lose a day's pay because I'm currently a temp. Surely there's some rule that could prevent people from doing this? It just seems so unfair!

M

Sadly Nezza, I would expect that the interviewer feels the same. There is no rule to prevent this. In fact, the rules that are in place make it obligatory to interview, and so they are the cause of, and not the solution to, this problem.

T

I had that a few times while applying.. There was incident like yours, I went for interview and was between me and a current undergrad, needless to say he got it despite the fact he still had to finish his disertation and sit his finals whereas I already had my degree plus I was much better qualified for large parts of the work.. It p*ssed me off at the time but its just part and parcel of the whole PhD hunt unfortunately.. This could be wrong but I am sure I heard that by law they have to advertise funded studentships regardless of whether or not they know who they want to do it. So don't be too down hearted and don't take it personally.. Its very frustrating but dont let it put you off.. Good luck

O

This is happening all the time. 20+ interviewees and then the female UG student from the department got selected

K

Unfortunately it doesn't just stop at PhD-hunting. Within academia I have witnessed jobs (mainly research associate/fellow positions) that are advertised, but have already been allocated to an internal candidate. I worked as an RA last year and heard two lecturers discussing it along the lines of...

"Oh, it's a pain, we HAVE to advertise, but we'll only do it for a week, that way we won't have many applicants and the job will go to [named person]"

I couldn't believe they were so blatant about it!

Another way they do it is to advertise and make a job description SO specific, it might as well say "applicants who are not called [named person] need not apply"

Nezza, any good university will re-inburse your travel expenses. If they haven't offered, ask. It is very unlikely they'll refuse. Also don't take the dodgy selction process to heart. It's deplorable practice, but it happens, and it's in no way a personal reflection on you.

O

Thanks krokodile, you have just given a sound account of a dirty game called "academia".

O

My apologies, your name is KroNkodile, of course

N

Thanks guys - it is really disheartening, but I guess it'll make getting the right offer more meaningful! That may also explain why I've seen some PhDs with deadlines very soon after they're first advertised!

S

It's Equal Opportunities Policy at its stupidest. If they already have the person they want there really isn't any point falsely raising other people's hopes. Unfortunately, the public sector is very big on implementing this procedure.

S

Equal Ops is stupid - they know who they want to appoint so why not just let them do it and stop wasting everyone else's time. It's not fair, but I'd rather it not be fair and not waste a day trying then going out of my way filling in applications, etc for no reason

O

My opinion on this issue: You at least now have the advantage of knowing how this University/Dept/Supervisor operates......do you really want to be a part of that?

As far as discrimination goes, then to redress this issue, you would need hard evidence that there was 'nepotism' going on, and in any case, it is legally unlikely that you will gain anything from doing so other than spending months and years seeking legal redress. Even if you won, the courts have no power or inclination to order a University to admit you on this course.

Forget these people,....find a good supervisor that is honest.

L

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but it happens just as much on the job market too!

S

I think the same thing almost happened to me. I applied for a PhD at UCL which was advertised in New scientist, within a week of it being advertised and there didnt appear to be a deadline, and within 3 days of submitting my CV I was invited for an interview. I didnt actually go to the interview as luckily I was offered my first choice and so cancelled the interview. However after reading this it makes me wonder if they hadnt already decided on the student but were inviting people for interview because they had to.