Studying PhD in UK if your english score is lower

B

Hi
I want to study in UK,Ph.D in rconomics.I am searching for a university or a college that admits my application without asking for english test and taking english courses instead because I have got the score which is the lower than that of the minimum requirement to get an admission to study Ph.D.Beside,I want to know if I can take this support course,can I work on Ph.D level.By the way ,I have master dergree in economics from NHH in Norway this year.my second question if it is enoughto start Ph.D directly without taking more courses? which place is better to study? I want to study in London school or Cambridge or Oxford ,is it important to have higher marks in examination on master level to enter these universities?what is alternative bright universities?are there a Ph.D study without admision deadline? I want to study on my account ,do that help me to get priority or not?

B

I'm afraid that all the universities I know of insist on English tests for foreign language students. I don't think you'll find one that doesn't. Also, if you're writing your PhD in English, I doubt you'll be able to cope unless your language skills are at a certain level. My advice would be to try and improve your English first, so that you can pass the necessary tests.

Good luck.

J

Hi Bedr,

I know an Iraqi student who failed the English requirement, but was able to take a one month pre-PhD course to make up for it. She was at Reading university.

J

Oops, should have told you that the pre-course was also at Reading university: it was arranged by the university themselves.

J

What I find remarkable is that no previous poster has told the original poster to learn the English language. Proficiency is likely to increase the chances of success in the PhD studies. In plain words. Learn English and don't post silly questions!

J

Beverley, didn't see your whole post, sorry.

J

Errr, Jouri he does say that he would learn Engligh:

"Beside,I want to know if I can take this support course,can I work on Ph.D level."

Maybe your English isn't so great?

J

My Engligh certainly isn't. My English isn't either, but that's not the point. The Original Poster doesn't fulfil the most simple of all criteria for PhD studies, hence a focus on learning English might be more appropriate thank asking if it was possible to start a PhD without said language course. He or she wants to do a PhD in Economics but doesn't even know how to spell that, quite shocking, actually.

J

Oops: I should probably spell properly before I make sarcastic remarks

Still, plenty of people learn English alongside a PhD. I don't think he should need to be fluent before he starts; the best way to learn is to move to the UK and immerse himself in the language.

B

I would thank you for exciting discussion.i wrote my master thesis in english ,which means that I can use english.But ,you know that TOEFL test or IELTS test ,as I think,do not reflect the true level of a student in english.The time restriction imposed on testtaker makes anyone nervous.The problem is that I become a headache quickly when reading.I heared that there is possibilty to take a course to improve one's language.
Anyhow,which university that offers the possibilty of taking a one-month english course.How can I get a place in universities like cambridge,oxford,Lindon school of economics ,I will study on my expense.Any suggestion?

J

Well, I apologise for my somewhat harsh response this morning. I blame the CocoPops. Anyway, can you not retake the test? Why Oxford or Cambridge - any rational reasons?

B

the reputation of these universitites and they came on the top of 500 universities in the world as well as the level of courses is the best because the best professors work in teaching,especially in Economics.Any suggestion about other good universities?

N

I think it depends on what particular field you're looking at in your PhD and where you can find the experts in the particular area. So, you have to find what you want to do first and that will take you where you should do your PhD. Then, you will know whether you will have to retake the TOEFL/IELTS as the university will tell you. If they think your research topic is interesting, they will help you.

S

hey bedr, the quality of teaching is not really of much interest to you if you are looking to do a PhD, as the PhD is not a taught course.
the quality of your potential future supervisor seems a lot more important to me. so if i were you, i would search for individuals whose work you like, find out at which universities they are, and then find out which of these universities allow you to start with a lower TOEFL score. another option is: when you apply, you do not need the TOEFL yet. you might get a conditional offer, the condition being that you submit a TOEFL report before you start. once that happens, you could put a month's hard work into preparing for the TOEFL and you should pass it easily. if you think your english is good enough that you can take some language classes on the side while you're doing your PhD and that will be enough, you should also be capable of passing that test if you put a little time into preparation. the TOEFL is really not that hard (i did it myself).

B

Thanks all.OK, name another universities in UK.By the way ,although I have master degree from Norway ,Do I need more courses or I can start Ph.D directly.Is there a deadline for applying for Ph.D in UK? Can you name those universities that offer a admission to ph.D conditional on providing English test later?