Summer Break from thesis: Camping suggestions

T

Hi Guys. I am longing for a one week break from my thesis and i am planning to go camping for a week, has anyone gone camping to a wonderful serene place which they would love to recommend to a Phdier suffering from fatigue and weary to the bone?? Any place between UK and Switzerland will do. I really do need a break otherwise my brain is going to go kaput.
thanks in advance

C

I'm off to the lakedistrict in a couple of weeks for a camping thesis break. Lots of campsites and very beaautiful. Only problem is you can't guarzntee the weather.... I've been before when it's rained all week.

T

Thanks C. I have been to the lake district before, its beautiful... and yes, it also rained cats and dogs the whole weekend. Keen to try some other place I haven't been....if not i might just find my way back there.

G

What about Scotland? Maybe somewhere in The Highlands?, i.e. The Cairngorms, or perhaps the Isle of Skye, or maybe even a bit of Island Hopping??? Its a very beautiful country!!!

A

======= Date Modified 28 Jun 2009 17:22:23 =======
Yorkshire Dales every time! The Lakes gets busy, the Dales not so much. Here's a couple of campsites for you:
http://www.keldbunkhouse.com/camping.html
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/babrarukin/campsite.htm
It can be rainy in Yorkshire too, but not so much as the Lakes. Lots of the rain gets dumped on the West before it gets to us.8-)

R

Hi tsipat,

although I am not a camper myself I think it is very beautiful in Germany: plently of forest, lots of hills, mountains and very clean.:-)
Try areas like Eiffel or Sauerland, or further south Black Forest etc.

Fidden Farm campsite on the Isle of Mull - absolute heaven!

J

whan are the midges out and about in Scotland? I can#t remember is is Sept/Oct time? I'm just thinking if you get caught by them, you will have more than a week off I should think...all that itching and scratching to do :-(. I haven't camped in England for a while, last time I went camping in Wales it snowed BRRRR. i find Greece a better bet! However don't forget to take a book - in a plastic bag, - in case you get withdrawal symptoms ;-)

T

The Atlantic coast in France. Seafood, Sea and Seafood. French campsites are ace and usually of a really good standard. I stayed at a lovely site near La Rochelle a couple of years ago played ping pong galore, hired a bike and must have covered 150+ km during the week as well as finding some time to kick back and relax.

Have fun where ever you may go.

T

Many thanks folks, will be googling all your suggested sites! Will keep you posted on the winning site. Anymore Recos, please bring them on!!

R

Anywhere on the 'ring of kerry' in ireland is beautiful, especially Kenmare, spent many summers camping there in my youth! The weather is not guaranteed at all though ;-)