Summer Placement & Grant

P

Hi

I am thinking of doing a summer placement at a company and working on a project that is related to my research. So I wonder if there is going to be any problem with the grant? I have a EPRSC grant, and I will also be paid for the 10 weeks at the company. Will the grant money during the time stopped? If yes, will I get it in the end if the PhD takes me longer?

Cheers

S

wouldn't that be outlined in your contract, or "terms and conditions", or whatever you got when you got the studentship?

K

If you are a full-time PhD student then are you able to take 10 weeks away from uni?
Most research councils stipulate that if you are a full-time, fully funded student then you are allowed to do paid work for 6 hours a week. (this will all be in your contract or on the website for your research council) Realistically they probably won't find out and if it's related to your PhD topic then they would probably turn a blind eye anyway.

However... when working at a company doing research you are often required to sign a declaration about intellectual property - ie anything you discover/find out is owned by the company and not by you. This means they may not allow you to use this for your PhD. Of course, I don't know what discipline your PhD is in, I am in science and it may be different for other subjects.

P

thanks for your feedback katq.

well I have 8 weeks of holiday a year... I just wonder if its possible in someway to make a "break" for 3 months and get then the money for these 3 months at the end. I am sure that I will require around 3.5 years until i have finished... Anyone done it this way? I dont wanna risk the studentship!

O

Is it feasible to simply do both?