Swiss management center

Q

Hi,
I am looking for an online Doctorate in Business Administration and I found a reasonable price and attendance level at the Swiss management center. Then, as per the MBA I know the school has to be accredited AMBA or EQUIS, I have no idea for doctorates, which are the basic rules to consider the institution a serious one.

i am looking forward to hear some help form you

Regards

Giulio

J

======= Date Modified 13 May 2009 09:19:05 =======
Guilio,

My name is Jeffrey Henderson and I recently graduated the Doctor of Political Economy program at SMC University, http://www.swissmc.ch/ The program took me 3.5 years and is a serious program. After all is said and done I think what you want to look for is a program that matches your personality. Often the accreditations the various school indicate are at the master's level, for instance the MBA level so make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

Given the nature of Doctoral work I personally do not believe in accreditations. It is a very individual pursuit and is more based on finding a program that fits with your schedule, your particular focus and budget. SMC is an accredited instituion by ACBSP in the US.

Also, important is whether you want to do it primarily on campus or distance. In so far as SMC University is concerned you have the option of taking courses both 100% distance or through residencies, or a mix of both - very flexible. During the residencies, one just finished early May 2009, there are students from a variety of countries. The student body comes form over 70 countries and during the residencies there are students present from probably half of those.

Good luck on your search and I hope you find a program that suits you well.

Best,
Jeffrey

I

Giulio,

Besides accreditation one very indicative measure is students and faculty. check on student and faculty profiles, testimonials, etc. a school being expressive on that level is most probably a good choice and has something to show (proof). with schools not offering that kind of info - there's something wrong. in the case of SMC University the highlighted student profiles are top level. these people are "older" at an advanced stage of their career. no kids, as found on many other sites. for me a proof that the institution deserves trust and apparently attracts top-tier people.

furthermore and important for PhD studies - they seem to be diligent on the research side. also an indicator for good quality.

hope this helps...

best,
frank

T

Hi Jeffrey,

I was interested to note that you did a Doctorate from SMC in Pol Econ as I too am registered for the same course. can you tell me what aspects of the course were challenging about the program. what was your thesis on? how long did you take to finish that and when did you start it. How long did your initial three modules take. are you teaching? I am sorry if i am asking too many questions. One reason why I am nervous is because it is not what I have done my Masters in. if there are any tips you could share with me , mate?

thanks

H

======= Date Modified 15 Sep 2009 10:32:09 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
--inappropriate content--

H

======= Date Modified 15 Sep 2009 10:34:10 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
--inappropriate content--

J

Great posting. I did my own due diligence and contacted Swiss Management Center University regarding their accreditation. They are accredited both in Europe and in the USA.
I have just commenced my DBA studies and find the Professors knowledgeable and the course content challenging.
Please google "Jim Kayalar" and you will come across my numerous publications and case studies published by Harvard Business Review, Ivey Publishing Canada, CCMP Publishing France etc...
I chose to study at SMC because they are accredited, they give you great value for your investment and you may use your degree to teach in the US.
Please visit my website at www.biztuneup.biz if you have further questions.

J

This is my follow up posting to the SMC DBA program. I have now started course of 7 of 8 and can say that I am overwhelmingly satisfied with my SMC experience. Distance learning differs from class room learning and the SMC have adapted the context of their courses that allows for a good learning experience. I have also published two cases “Wujiang Motor Company, China” and “The Generics Pharmacy, Philippines” during the last year. The SMC have also launched a number of higher education programs this year. This institution is growing fast!