Taught doctorate at Southampton Uni

N

Hi all. I'm interested in doing a clinical practice doctorate at Southampton Uni. What are other people's experiences of these or of doctorate work at this uni? I know it's not a PhD but there doesn't seem to be anywhere else to ask (I strongly suspect I'm insane for even considering it!) As a nurse a PhD would be a bit tricky to combine with continued practice so the taught option seems more feasible. Anyone have any thoughts? Best wishes to you all with your studies and apologies for being here under false pretences! :)

I

Hi nurseyboy
The taught doctorates seem to becoming more popular in the health professions. I only know what I have been told ... if you are interested in a career in academia it is best to go the PhD route, if you want to stay in clinical practice the doctorate programme has lots to offer - one benefit is that you go through the process with your peers and therefore have much more access to support. I also believe that it is much more relevant to your day to day practice.
I also know that some academics in physiotherapy are a bit sniffy towards the professional doctorate, it may be different in nursing.
All the best

S

Contact one of the clinical administrators at Southampton who can give you more advice. Your best bet is Teresa Rivers - [email protected]

She's VERY VERY lovely and will be able to tell you more about the course and how it fits in with general professional training in this field.

N

Gosh, thank you both interstella and SixKitten! Your replies are both very kind and helpful. As far as I'm aware within the health professions DClinP programmes are increasing as you have stated, especially in psychology. They seem to hold parity with other doctorates and are indeed more suited to practicing health professionals. I'm not aware of any snootiness regarding what sort of doctorate a person has, although I wonder how the consultants at work will react! I will certainly be getting in touch with the lovely Teresa as you have suggested too. BTW, SixKitten, are you based at Southampton. If so how are you finding it? Many thanks again, to you both. Have a smiley!

J

I did my undergraduate at Southampton and really loved the place. I wish you the best of luck.

S

I study IR at Southampton (did my BSc and MSc here as well), but I know the clinical psychology depart. very well as did some temp admin work on a related course in Psychology.

One consideration is that the course is based at a house off the main campus and this is only a temporary home for the course - because the Boldrewood campus is being demolished soon the course will move back to the main campus in two years time (at least that's the plan). So if you are thinking about, be prepared for a bit of disruption around that time. There are very few resources at the house (no computers) so you have to go to other campuses to use these - although as you are on placement most of the time this doesn't cause the students too many probs.

S

As for Southampton, I don't really like the town. There is nothing to do here and can't believe I got stuck here. I always said I would move out and never come back as soon as I got my BSc, but now have commitments here that I cant move away from.

B

SexKitten - I completely sympathise ... I'm stuck in Southampton to! This place is so dull, and there are only so many trips to West Quay a person can make!

The only plus is ... this place is so depressing (and waking up everyday thinking "I want to get out of this place asap") is good motivation for getting on with PhD work!

R

Also went to Southampton and agree: although the postgraduate medical teaching was great the town it self is not very exiting. Only few shopping streets, quay and a cinema...

N

Fortunately, I live in Basingstoke- although there would be a lot of people who would say that is far from fortunate! Sounds silly but I don't really know Southapmton itself that well. I did my BSc part time at the uni over the last few years and never went off the Highfield campus. I liked the facilities there and the School of Nursing and Midwifery seemed well run all things considered. It sounds like the night life is a bit dull though. Interesting Basingstoke fact: we have the 8th largest shopping centre in the UK! Ooooh..I hear you all cry. Reckon I should approach the council for an advertising deal? Yes its true, I really need to get out more.

S

I always said the first thing I would do when I graduated with my BSC was to get out of Southampton and never come back. Unfortunately (or should that be fortunately!!??) I met my husband and now stuck here because of his job.

I had a good time as an undergrad, but its the sort of place you have to be totally wasted to have a good time!