the courage to admit it

M

So, after keeping years of silence about receiving an R&R on my PhD viva, yesterday I broke the silence. I told people, not only from my department (I am sure that some may have gathered this already), but also, colleagues from other departments - I attend a conference right now, so I met many of them at the event. Frankly, I did not feel embarrassed about this result (I used to feel very embarrassed on the first year after the viva). I did my best, I resubmitted, and now waiting...

It is kind of therapeutic being honest with people instead of avoiding to discuss my PhD. Yes, I know, people will gossip behind my back, but you know what? I simply don't care any more. I am pleased with myself and that's all that counts.

Now, of course, this move of mine may close many future doors to my career plans; but as my supervisor once mentioned: in the end of the day, if you get your PhD, that's all that matters.

H

Good on you. Fortune favours the brave, you know... .

L

I can't imagine people finding this out hurting your prospects at all, whatsoever! The head of Film Studies at my University is a Professor who got this outcome on his PhD. If anything it shows you have endurance!

K

I know what you mean marasp. I didn't do as well as (my supervisor and others) expected and there are certain people I don't especially want to discuss it with although I've told everyone who I know won't judge me (and I'm lucky to have quite a few of those in my life). Well done for being open about it!

I don't think it will count against you, especially if you and your supervisor are on good terms and he/she will write you a decent reference.

No thesis is perfect and a lot depends on the examiners - so anyone who does judge you isn't worth knowing. My view is that it's good to be given a chance to improve your thesis. It will stand you in good stead for future academic work.

M

Well, let;s put it this way: it's a good opportunity to see who cares and who doesn't. People's responses:

-Oh, really?
-I got no corrections when I had my viva.
-So, it really happens getting a result like this?
-What did your supervisor say about the result?
-I cannot imagine how it would feel being in your shoes.
-I wish you luck.
-Well, I know that it has also happened to (insert name of person here).

Some people get happy with other peoples' misfortunes.

Quote From marasp:
Well, let;s put it this way: it's a good opportunity to see who cares and who doesn't. People's responses:

-Oh, really?
-I got no corrections when I had my viva.
-So, it really happens getting a result like this?
-What did your supervisor say about the result?
-I cannot imagine how it would feel being in your shoes.
-I wish you luck.
-Well, I know that it has also happened to (insert name of person here).

Some people get happy with other peoples' misfortunes.

I can't imagine the type of person who would respond like that....at the end of the day PhD is either pass or fail regardless how someone gets there. You've done so well marasp, I hope they are not bringing you down :)

B

The way I see it, is that a PhD is a journey. For some, it's a relatively smooth one, and for others, well, they just have slog for a few extra miles. What matters is finishing the journey and reaping the rewards.